News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 04:48:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing rust from frame  (Read 2757 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Removing rust from frame
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »
I'm thinking of trying a chemical to remove rust from the general underside/frame.  I hear great things about Klean Strip "Phosphoric Prep & Etch", available at Home Depot.  It's roughly $15/gallon.  From what I read, you apply it and keep the area as wet with the liquid as possible.  Then wait 24 hours.  The rust turns to a black, sometimes scaly finish that you can rinse off.  Underneath is bare metal.  I will then use an etching primer, followed by some sort of enamel.

Has anyone used this stuff?  Does this sound alright?  I would like to do POR-15 down the road, but I want to at least halt the rust until I'm ready to do it.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Removing rust from frame
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »
Check how bad the rust is.
Does it really have to be removed or can it be sealed so it can't rust anymore?

Consider: remove scale, brush on Penetrol, dry, undercoating (Waxoyl).
If you really want to remove the rust first, use Evapo-rust. It works (and not an acid). It's expensive, but you save tons with the Penetrol being under $10 a can.
You can paint over top of the Penetrol if you want the frame a colour, but if you want to protect from rust, use Waxoyl.
search the nest for Penetrol and Waxoyl

POR-15 is expensive.
I've used POR-15 with their degreaser as per their directions many times. It has failed in every application on steel (clean, rusted or de-rusted) that I have used in service (peels & rusts, or rusts through).
It did work well when mixed with polyester spheres into a slightly dry slurry and used as a body filler (colour didn't yellow either), but that's a very expensive body filler.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:11:56 AM by Canoe »

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:39:26 PM »
Hmm, well I already have the Penetrol.  I just heard very good things about the Klean Strip product for the price.  Either way, if I get the rust spots down to bare metal, do I then apply the Penetrol and let it dry, followed by the Waxoyl?  How long can I wait in between the Penetrol drying and the coat of Waxoyl?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
Hmm, well I already have the Penetrol.  I just heard very good things about the Klean Strip product for the price.  Either way, if I get the rust spots down to bare metal, do I then apply the Penetrol and let it dry, followed by the Waxoyl?  How long can I wait in between the Penetrol drying and the coat of Waxoyl?
I don't know what you have to do after "Klean Strip". As in, what residue does Klean Strip leave that may prevent something applied to not bond or cure.
With Evapo-Rust, it's a water rinse, dry.

After Penetrol, I wait a week. It doesn't "dry", it "cures":
  • dries as the solvent flashes off, then
  • polymerizes
  • unpolymerized ends oxidize
The surface can feel dry, but within the layer it hasn't finished curing (press and you'll see).

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »
Ok.  Klean Strip leaves a scaly, black residue that you rinse off to find bare metal.  After which I would prime, paint, penetrol and waxoyl.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 02:31:06 PM »
NO!

Penetrol on bare metal or rusted (scale removed), then a top coat of paint if you want colour (but you're covering it with black Waxoyl...), then Waxoyl.

I'm concerned about what is left behind by the Klean Strip after you remove the scaly black residue. Like the difference between truly degreasing something vs. spreading the grease around. There may be trace chemical residue.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:39:35 PM »
Good thing I asked.   ;D
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk