News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:25:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reverse in RWD results in binding at the t-case  (Read 3036 times)

Offline zboot

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Reverse in RWD results in binding at the t-case
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
So, for the past year, my Eagle has been in 4wd - for a variety of reasons which pretty much can be boiled down to "I only managed to get it running during the winter and I had another car for the summer".

Anyway now that my 2nd car is toast, the Eagle must serve full year duty and with the snow finally going away, I decided to switch it back to 2wd. Almost immediately, I noticed something (which when I think about it, also happened when I first had the car).

After a few seconds of moving in reverse, I start to get some binding from the transfer case. The sound comes from just under my drivers seat and you can feel the frame vibrating around that area. Its as if when put in reverse, after the t-case absorbs some slack from the front wheels moving, it gets to a point where it binds up. This never happens in any other gear or if I roll the car in neutral.

It seems to usually take a few feet or really sharp steering angles for this to occur. Sometimes I can parallel park without triggering this or reverse into my driveway and only when I start turning the wheel to cut into my space does the binding begin.

Has anyone experienced this as well?

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Reverse in RWD results in binding at the t-case
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:14:18 PM »
Never had it happen but it sounds like when in reverse the transfer case is trying to shift back into 4x4.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:54:26 AM »
May I suggest you look at the transmission mount? I'm wondering if what you're hearing is the back of the transmission shifting around on the crossmember.
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:55:02 AM »
Not sure of this is the case , but most any older 4wd will bind when the wheels are turned really sharp and moving slow, or at least feel like they are binding and hopping.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk