The Shop > Question and Answer

AWD charger subfraime

(1/1)

Badvibes258:
First, hey all, it's been a long time, I am back.

And with the new i6 hurricane on the horizon and zf8hp70 I thought I would pose some thoughts and ideas.

The hurricane is a powerhouse if they deliver.
And the zf8hp70 is impressive.

510hp/475ft-torque (from 2500 to redline)

And 5:1 first gear and .64:1 8th.

Based on the sx4, 3.73 final gearing, est weight of  3452 (the trans is much heavier but the hurricane is a bit lighter) estimated drag and shape of the sx4, and 27 inch tires, it is theoretically possible to achieve 182 mph or more.

With that in mind, I was looking at parts, and discovered dodge charger awd models had a removable subframe.

With that in mind, I believe something similar could create a less aggressive stance and lead to an unofficial AMX eagle.

IE subaru wrx killer.

I know there was discussion for the 401 amx cross member on the previous forum.

What are your thoughts on the new potential of the hurricane or making a street/strip amx eagle?

TheBirdman:
Thatd be a pretty killer idea, far beyond any of our project budgets though.

Youd also probably want to stiffen up the unibody, and replace the rear axle and suspension to not turn itself into a pretzel with 500 horse too.

Badvibes258:
We are talking about axles that have had ungodly torque put through them. The gear ratios will be changed as noted, but 8 gears also lowers the issue. remember sr4 transmission 1st gear is less than 3:1 putting lots of strain on gears. The 8hp70 8 speed is 5:1 first gear with tunable shift points. And remember the eagle weighs 3300 (3500 with the zf8hp70) just a slightly bit heavier than a subaru impreza

TheBirdman:
If you think an amc model 30 axle or the 1970s passenger car leaf springs are going to take 500hp for very long, then I really dont know what to tell you. Unless you mean to make the swap then trailer it around to car shows or putt up to the local arbys, then it should be fine.

Illeagle1984:
Actually, your 5:1 first gear will put more strain than ever on the drivetrain.  Torque multiplication: multiply the engine power by the gear ratio to get output power.  With an engine rated at 500, 3:1 = 1500, 5:1 = 2500.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version