News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 05:55:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Always blowing hot air...unless AC is on  (Read 3120 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Always blowing hot air...unless AC is on
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 05:22:46 PM »

Not going to lie, taking the dash apart freaks me out, but I'd rather do all the right work while it's apart.

Having done the heater core replacement myself a couple times, it is not nearly as difficult as I made it out to be in my head.  It's really pretty straightforward, just make sure you get the cables put back in the right spots on the heater box and you'll be fine!  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Hoping to get my wagon back to a daily driver.
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2022, 05:24:32 PM »
Thanks Vangremlin.

I've gone through it a bunch in my head and just need to dig into it.

The foam replacement is my only wonder about.

I want to make sure I get the right foam and adhesive so I don't have that issue popping up again in the near future.

People seem to differ on foam and glue recommendations.

Cheers!
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon (donor) - parted out and sold

Next up - Holley Sniper BBD swap - then I'll throw a Carter BBD smashing party

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 06:43:04 PM »
Use an adhesive that requires catalyzing as a means to acheive a bond(like JB weld, epoxy adhesives, etc)

Then they change their state to a permanent plastic solid that will last as long as the plastic venting and heat transfer box
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 06:37:59 PM by Artmodels »

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 05:06:14 PM »
Ok, I've got everything I need to start the heater core replacement and I'm going to dig into it tonight.

Just did a quick trip to pick my son up from school and it was -37C out and I couldn't see through the fogged up windows at all...super dangerous and needs to get sorted.

Thanks for all the tips and I'll post an update (or many updates) as I swear...I mean go...

Cheers!

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2022, 08:05:17 PM »
Ugh the middle of winter sure is the worst time to pull a core.
Good luck!

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2022, 08:57:40 PM »
Heater core, never a fun job. The heater core on mine was replaced in 2002, still not leaking, fingers crossed LOL.

I helped a friend change his heater core on an 89 T-Bird. That dash had to nearly leave the car. Seats out, console out, it was winter of course but at least we were in a garage that I think was heated?? It was a long time ago. Never a fun job on any vehicle.

Remember the real olden days when heater cores were accessed under the hood LOL!! Like 1950's 60's? Ha ha well on some newer 80's vehicles you can access it through the glove box, I think some Ford trucks and mid 80's Mustangs were that way.

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2022, 08:59:47 PM »
...and it was -37C out and I couldn't see ...
Are you in Alberta by chance?

And FYI heater core thread @ https://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42944.0;all
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:01:12 PM by 86Woodgrain »

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2022, 02:41:22 PM »
...and it was -37C out and I couldn't see ...
Are you in Alberta by chance?

And FYI heater core thread @ https://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42944.0;all

Pretty close 86 Woodgrain, I'm in Saskatchewan. Were you getting the same weather in Alberta? We are heading into a milder patch now...thankfully!

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2022, 02:54:41 PM »
Pretty close 86 Woodgrain, I'm in Saskatchewan. Were you getting the same weather in Alberta? We are heading into a milder patch now...thankfully!
I'm in Sask too but it didn't get that cold here (southern area). I know there is another Eagle owner on here from Saskatoon.

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2022, 04:00:05 PM »
Update:

Two nights ago I pulled an all-nighter from 6:30pm to 6:30pm...mostly because I wanted to put everything back together while it was all fresh in my head from dismantling everything to get the heater core out.

Success! Today I had a chance to fill the heater core, fill the top line running into it with coolant...connect that line back up and fire it up...I should probably burp a little more air out of it but I have heat...lots of it and no foggy windows.

Huge thank you to everyone for the tips, details and motivation.

This is no simple job but just digging into it is the best thing to do.

Here's a couple of things I had to discover on my own...could be for 1984 Limited Wagon only

1. Passenger mirror lever and cable: The cable that runs from lever on the dash to the passenger mirror was in the way of dropping and reinstalling the heater box. I didn't know what it was at the the time until it was too late. I was able to get the box out without disconnecting the lever from the dash...but it was when I was putting the box back in that I pulled hard on the cable and tore the lever right through the dash. Cracked a bit out of the hole that holds the lever and ring in place...but no big deal...i was able to reinstall it all after but the dash could have been way more damaged...so I got lucky.

Had I take a few minutes to trace that cable to the source, I could have unscrewed the ring holding the lever to the dash and that would have given me plenty of room to move the heater box in and out.

2. Heater element in the heater box: The instructions in the write (which are amazing) were followed to a tee...and in there it says to disconnect two wire plugs on the heater box. This is true, but I would add that you should remove the two bolts holding that little heater element completely before pulling the box. There is not much room in there and when pulling the box out you can damage the contacts and wires on that element. Two bolts, easy to get out and then you can pull that element out before any heater box movement.

I tested this out by removing the element from the heater box before installing the box back in...I didn't have to worry as I was manhandling the box back in place and sure enough once it was fitted I had easy access to putting the element back in and putting the two bolts in.

3. Foam - I was feeling a bit paralyzed leading up to the work because I wasn't sure which foam to get. I had limited selection here in town and nothing seemed to make sense. In the end I went with some high end closed cell foam tape of varying dimensions...from 1/8" to 3/4". I cleaned the box well...used the tape foam and it all seemed to adhere really well.

Wish I wouldn't have over thought this that much ahead of the work happening

4. Big foam - My foam door (the large one) was in great shape but wasn't seating well in one position. I shaved the sides down where it came in contact with some rivets and that took care of it.

Glad it's done. I also swapped out the blower motor and fan for new ones...so no more squeaky blower motor. Winter can be enjoyed even more now in the Eagle wagon.

Cheers and again...big thanks to you all for your help!

:occasion14:

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2022, 04:01:14 PM »
I'm in Sask too but it didn't get that cold here (southern area). I know there is another Eagle owner on here from Saskatoon.

Oh rad. Nice! I got my Eagle about 4 years ago from someone near Saskatoon. Haven't seen any other's driving around but I hope to!!!

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2022, 07:31:45 PM »
Do you have a larger photo of your car? It looks a lot like mine.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2022, 11:32:24 AM »
Congrats on getting that job done and enjoy the warmth!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Factory53

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2022, 03:32:26 PM »
Do you have a larger photo of your car? It looks a lot like mine.

Nothing online that I can link to...some dude posted one on Instagram but for some reason the link doesn't work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk