The Mighty 258 > Engine Electrical Systems.

Aftermarket knock sensor installation

(1/1)

MIPS:
I live 1100 feet above sea level and tuned my carb for the altitude but I occasionally travel down to the coast and the change makes the engine knock pretty bad on acceleration. I have to load up on octane boosters or pay $6.45/gal for 89.

My 82 does not have a knock sensor so I bought a Carter Engine Knock Eliminator that says it will attach to all standard points, SSI and computerized engines. What reviews I have found say it was worth the price when new. (the 70's)

It uses the same knock sensor as that is found on later Eagles but my intake manifold doesn't have the extra casting point for the sensor. The kit comes with a bracket that says to attach it somewhere near to the top of the cylinders, preferably to a head bolt. I do have an '84 intake manifold with the casting point but should I swap the entire manifold for an official sensor mounting place or follow the instructions and just attach it directly to the head?

MIPS:
On further testing no, the new knock sensor doesn't fit the AMC manifold's knock sensor threads, so the supplied will have to be used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version