The Mighty 258 > Exhaust System.

Transmission Mount Rattle

(1/2) > >>

MIPS:
I'm making an assumption here that at one point the exhaust support bracket hanging off my transmission was dismantled and not completely reassembled because even before I had my exhaust rebuilt the bracket rattles so loudly it echos off nearby buildings.

It's those two pins that go through the bracket plate. The are not threaded so they don't bolt together and there's no holes for something like a spring, washer and a cotter pin. Is it seriously supposed to just sit loose in the bracket or am I missing something to eliminate the rattle?

AMC of Houston:
Nope; that's not original.  Probably an exhaust shop somewhere hacked it up.   I think I'd just fill in the holes with a MiG welder - wouldn't rattle any more.

To me; doesn't look like an original bracket either.

Thack:
My 83 has the same mount, pretty sure it’s original although mine does not make any noise.....yet.

Tom H

rmick:
Mine has nuts and bolts there now you a see where the stud was cut out with a torch and bolts installed

MIPS:
Thread follow-up.
I missed the bulletin in the Eaglepedia stating that rattle from the bracket is normal. The bulletin says to remove the pins and replace them with bolts.

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/September_1982_TB_1-11-82:_Catalytic_Converter_Support_Bracket

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version