The Mighty 258 > Cooling System

Coolant overflow bottle not recirculating

(1/3) > >>

JayRamb:
My coolant overflow bottle isn't functioning like my other two Eagles have and did. My 85 Eagle has a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and temp gauge is right on the money, no overheating, but I noticed my coolant bottle isn't recirculating as my other's have. I've added a coolant additive in the overflow bottle/recovery, and it hasn't recirculated in the cooling system. My other 2 Eagles did it no problem. The hose from radiator to overflow bottle isn't plugged, the radiator is filled to the top. It puzzles me. Help!

macdude443:
Make sure the hose is good and tight on the radiator neck and that the hoses has no air leaks. When the car cools and the coolant contracts a vacuum is formed which pulls coolant from the reservoir. When it gets hot the coolant expands and overflows into the reservoir. I had this problem and it was caused by the lack of a hose clamp where the bottles hose connects to the neck.

macdude443:
You could also have a bad radiator cap.

JayRamb:
Thanks Mac...I'll check that out and report later! :)

carnuck:
Bad cap, pinhole in the system (no vacuum gets made) or bad/wrong cap. This system needs a double seal cap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version