AMC Eagle Archives > Model Years

Discrepancies within Model years

(1/4) > >>

recomer:
Thought I'd start this discussion concerning minor discrepancies I've notices over the model years that come from owning my Eagle since 2010.

1. 81-83 Aluminum wheels - Any ideas why some are full groove and others are partial groove? I've looked over 81-83 literature and I don't see a pattern of one set of wheels belonging on a specific model of Eagle. I thought I saw a pattern of the Smaller cars (SX4, Kammeback and 2 door) having the full groove wheels then I see a 4 door with them. So maybe Wagons only came with the partial groove wheels. Well, that was busted to. Is there a reason for the two wheel types, were they model specific or is this just a case of multiple suppliers and lack of attention to the contracts?

2. Roof Racks - I've seen both fix and sliding roof racks on the Eagle wagons. What years had what type?

3. Power Bulge Hoods - It appears all SX4s had them. Kammbacks too. Sedans, Coupes and Wagons, vary base on the year. I read where 83 was the last year for wagons to have the regular hood, but then I find an 82 factory brochure with a Wagon with a power bulge hood. Again, seems no pattern. Any ideas to which years specifically had what hood?

Thanks.

JayRamb:
my discrepancy in my latest addition to my AMC Eagle (1985 Eagle Wagon) had a 1984 Engine installed in factory. I know that becuz the oil filter changed in 1985-1988. The carpet that I ripped up in the backseat had carpet tag dated 1984. The production of the car is Sept 1984. Left overs sculpted in 1985's. Love it tho!

captspillane:
1- I think all 1981 Eagle 5 spoke alloy wheels would be full groove, then at some point they changed the tooling to partial groove. Probably middle of 1982 model year. All models made at the same time would be the same. Its not a difference between body styles.

2- The roof racks changed in 1984.

3- All 1980 "Sport" station wagons have hood ornaments with black and silver colors instead of the normal red white and blue colors. All 1981 through 1985 "Sport" wagons had power bulge hoods along with all SX4s and all Kammbacks. All 1981 through 1984, including 1984, normal non-sport station wagons had hood ornaments. All 1985 to 1988 station wagons and sedans had power bulge hoods.

In other words it was possible to get a power bulge hood on a wagon every year except 1980.

captspillane:

--- Quote from: JayRamb on April 10, 2015, 06:18:37 PM ---my discrepancy in my latest addition to my AMC Eagle (1985 Eagle Wagon) had a 1984 Engine installed in factory. I know that becuz the oil filter changed in 1985-1988. The carpet that I ripped up in the backseat had carpet tag dated 1984. The production of the car is Sept 1984.

--- End quote ---

What oil filter difference? The 4.0L has different threads than the 4.2L but I am not aware of any 4.2L having different threads than all the rest.

January 1st is not the beginning of a model year, and I've heard that AMC did not agree with the one the government provided. In other words there are three different dates to call "the beginning of the year." Internally AMC engineers had to finish and commence changes on a different date than the AMC marketing people used to define model years, and both of those dates were different than January 1st. I forget exactly but I think both dates are around March or April.

If for example today, April 10th 2015, was that date then all cars made yesterday would be called 2015 models and all cars made today until April 10th 2016 would be called "2016 Models."

Out of all the Eagles in existence with "1985" model year listed on their factory supplied emissions sticker about three quarters of those were made from March 1984 to the end of 1984 and about a quarter of them were actually made in 1985. Likewise the majority of 1980 Eagles were already made and shipped out to dealers at the end of 1979.

Prafeston:

--- Quote from: recomer on April 10, 2015, 01:11:17 PM ---
2. Roof Racks - I've seen both fix and sliding roof racks on the Eagle wagons. What years had what type?

3. Power Bulge Hoods - It appears all SX4s had them. Kammbacks too. Sedans, Coupes and Wagons, vary base on the year. I read where 83 was the last year for wagons to have the regular hood, but then I find an 82 factory brochure with a Wagon with a power bulge hood. Again, seems no pattern. Any ideas to which years specifically had what hood?

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

2. I'm almost positive that the Roof Racks were fixed from 80-82 and then 83+ had the adjustable ones? Also I think that the pre-82 racks could come with or without the rear window spoiler/air deflector.

3. Capt. pretty much nailed the power bulge. All Sport model wagons came with the power bulge, except for in 80 I guess. Then all Eagles had the power bulge from 85 forward.

I'll add that I believe all 80 wagons had the "sport" rear quarter window trim...whether they were sport models or not.

Also the 80 wagons were fulltime 4x4. 81-84 was pull and switch. And 85+ was switch on the fly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version