The Mighty 258 > Engine Electrical Systems.

Setting the timing

(1/3) > >>

rohnk:
When setting the engine timing, which way do you rotate the distributor? Clockwise for advance and counter-clockwise to retard?

I've not done timing in probably 20 years so forgive my ignorance! I know I have to lossen the bolt to allow the distributor to turn just don't know which way to go with it.

Tried starting my Eagle last night after compleing the motorcraft swap. I haven't done the ECM Test yet becuase I wanted to get it running before I do that step.

doc65:
Negative, advance is always the oposite of the rotation of the rotor, so in this case counter-clock to advance & clockwise to retard.

thereverendbill:
if my memory serves me correctly you need to bypass the ECM before you set the timing

eagle503:
You wont get it running until you do the ecm test. The computer is trying to retard - advance the timing in accordance with the signal from the stepper and sensors. It will probably start once then die and just try to turn over from there.

rohnk:
Ok, I'll ECM Test it tonight and see what happens. I have read where other guys had started and driven there's before doing the ECM Test.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version