The Mighty 258 > Cooling System

Electric fan long term review

(1/5) > >>

eaglefreek:
I installed an electric fan about a year ago. It was dual fan from a Chrysler LHS. It fit perfect but it didn't keep the engine cool on the real hot days. I didn't notice any difference in MPG or HP. Well today it crapped out on the way home from work. I was 20 miles from home but luckily a 1/4 mile from a buddy's house. I parked it at his house, retrieved my old mechanical fan and installed it and kicked the electric fan to the curb.

vangremlin:
I installed an electric fan in my Gremlin a few years ago and while it works I'm not entirely happy with it.  The temperature gauge stays where it should but I'm convinced the engine compartment is hotter than before.  I don't know that it affects the engine but I don't think its a good thing.

standup650:
i run a 15inch plastic fan with a 1-1/4 spacer, no clutch. doing this removed a ton of weight from the water pump shaft, and cooling is awesome! Best of all nothing to fail! yes i know the belt but they last longer with less drag on them.

1982AMCCONCORD:
I caution people putting an electric fan on a car that can with a mechanical fan... while it MIGHT work fine for some cars.. it doesn't work for all.

I put an electric fan on my 93 Chevy Caprice and I started eating through radiators like crazy... eventually I found this link... turns out I've been heat cycling my engine and cooling system... I suppose this is why I went through 6 radiators, ended up with a bad head gasket and a broken exhaust manifold.

http://www.dccontrol.com/introf2.htm

Pretty sure I ruined everything... and I thought I was doing something good for it.. FAIL.

Sunny:
I have plenty of friends with high horsepower car's who put electric fans in and have no cooling issues.
The biggest problem is people take junkyard fans, that might not be working full capacity or not designed to move as much air as your motor needs. I've also seen plenty of car's overheat at lower speeds because people removed the fan shrouds. People around here seem to pull electric fans from junk yard.. throw them in without any sort of research and then cry when it doesn't work better than stock. Just because it fit's, doesn't mean it will work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version