The Shop > Axle / Differential

Swapping 2.35 gears out of the front... questions

(1/16) > >>

dansvan:
Hello all. I've swapped in a Chrysler 8.25 out of a Jeep Cherokee. Swap went smooth. It is geared 3.54. I ordered a set of 3.54 low pinion d30 gears for the front from Randys. I went to install them and the ring gear doesn't touch the pinion. Then I swapped the ring gear on to a 3.54 carrier from Jeep. Same thing, identical carrier it seems. They seem to think I need a 3.73 and up d30 carrier. Anyone done this? Actually change out their 2.35's?  Also a theory is the 2.35 geared Eagles had different complete front housings?

IowaEagle:
Hmmmmmmmmm, I remember we just found out the 2.35 carrier was specific only to that set up and the parts manual confirms that.  And the manual says the 2.72, 3.07 and 3.54 shared the same one. 

http://www.amceaglesden.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Section_26%2C_Front_Drive_Shafts_and_Axle

dansvan:
I agree. However, did they use the normal 3.54 and up carrier for the 2.35 set and the normal 3.73 and up carrier for the 2.75, 3.07, and 3.54 sets? That would also mean that 3.54 would be the deepest gears we could put in the Eagle. Anyone gear the front deeper at 3.73 or 4.10 etc?

eagleone:
I wanted to change my 2.35 to a 3.08 as well. Does that mean I need more stuff besides the ring and pinion gears?

TLC87Eagle:
Yes, the 2.35 gear carriers are different than the higher 2.73, 3.08, and 3.54 carriers. I have 2.35s in mine and when my rear carrier broke from a previous repair, I wasn't able to find a 2.35 carrier anywhere. If it weren't for the Eagles Nest and Pack Rat's help in donating a 2.35 carrier, I would have had to get two new carriers and two ring and pinion sets. It should be a lot easier to find the 2.73, 3.08, and 3.54 carriers around, I found several places on the web where they are sold new. But it looks like your going to need a carrier and spider gears and probably bearings as well, which is probably a little more cash than you want to spend. But at least you'll have a beefier rear end and plenty of torque.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version