News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 07:34:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upper ball joint  (Read 3725 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Upper ball joint
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
Could some one please take a picture of their upper ball joint setup and post it. I can't find one picture on the Internet that shows how the moog replacement ball joint is supposed to fit. Thanks in advance.
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
Re: Upper ball joint
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »
Nobody?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
No picture, but it's up from underneath. Put a wooden block under the upper A-Arm against the frame before you jack the car up to keep the arm from fully extending so you have some free play in the lower arm.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »
You just so happend to catch me with my wheel off! Hope this helps you out
Rob C

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:14:13 PM »
Hey guys thank you so much I was just about to delete the thread for non response. I had the ball joints done years ago at the shop that cut the originals out.(the originals had rivets) so while they had them disassembled I figured I would give them the new moog replacements. They installed them on top of the upper control arm. I just assumed this was the proper procedure for the aftermarket ball joints. Guess I shouldn't have assumed. Thank you again and thanks for the pictures eggs to both of you.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 09:30:47 PM »
Wow!!   Driving around with 1/2 of the car's weight riding on 8 stretchy Chinese bolts.   Now that's scary!!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:56 AM »
Wow!!   Driving around with 1/2 of the car's weight riding on 8 stretchy Chinese bolts.   Now that's scary!!

My thoughts exactly.  Glad it never failed.  Wonder what this will do to an alignment.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:27:19 PM »
It'll mess with it for sure. I wanted to put 2wd upper arms in mine to get the extra front lift
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk