News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 10:43:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installed some relays and cleaned up some wiring.  (Read 2511 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Installed some relays and cleaned up some wiring.
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
I kind of had a rats nest by the starter solenoid and also have seen where a few people have had issues with rust around the battery, so I decided to tackle them both at the same time.

I had a bunch of stuff going to the battery post on the starter solenoid, plus I installed a MSD box in place of the ICM a few years back and did a sloppy job because I was in a hurry.

I removed the battery and found some rust, but luckily it was mostly surface rust.

I wire brushed and sanded the rust, then coated it with Permatex Rust Treatment. It requires 24 hrs before top coat. I sprayed it with some Duplicolor white paint the next day and started putting it back together.

Since I have a Jeep starter that has the solenoid on the starter, I decided to replace the fender mounted solenoid with a relay. I installed a battery distribution block I removed from a Cadillac for all the wires that used to go to the solenoid. I used a relay bracket I got off of a GM car in the junkyard along with the relays. Relays are for the starter, low beams, high beams, fog lights and horn. I also installed a 4 note Cadillac horn that I also picked up from the junkyard. The wiring isn't quite as neat as I would have liked but it's better than it was, before. I left some of the wires long, since I plan on installing a fuse box which will have relays when I do the fuel injection swap some day. I might make a cover to hide the wires if they bug me.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:55:23 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

A-A EAGLE

Re: Installed some relays and cleaned up some wiring.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
Well done!

Anjo
Holland

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:53:59 PM »
Yes, it looks great!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:36:27 PM »
Thanks.  :occasion14:
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk