The Shop > Gremlins

Trouble Starting Lately

(1/6) > >>

Prafeston:
I've been having some trouble starting it lately. I've had a bit of trouble ever since I got the MC 2150 installed. I thought I got all the vacuum leaks straightened out when GRONK sent me a new base cause mine was cracked. But it was still needing to be pumped a few times with gas before it would start up.

I've been playing with the idle and fast idles screws trying to get it right, but something I did recently or maybe just the toll of all the bad starts have finally made it go over the edge. I'm now fighting it just to get it started every day and it's sounding horrible. It seems like it's fully turning over for the first second or so of turning the key and then it just sounds like the starter is spinning. Do I have an issue with my ignition coil? Or possibly my battery is dying? I'm also guessing I still need to figure out the carb and get it tuned right. It's dieseling when I turn it off sometimes.

Here is the most recent Start Up I filmed this morning and this was after driving it from my house to a local park and then trying to start it up to head to work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnihJQgcU2g

Here it is one of the first couple times I started it after installing the carb. You can at least hear it turning over continually. It also would stay idling much quicker and I could get driving much quicker after the start up. Now I'll have to sit for like 5 minutes giving it gas and then when I put it into drive it will just die.. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9kiHb1nFA0

Oh and I forgot to mention that lately when it's about to die and I try to give it some gas to keep it going it will backfire from somewhere under the hood.

carnuck:
You have a vacuum leak or idle set too high causing the run on.

TheWraith:
Suggest you start with the battery and the starter.  A tired starter could cause the problem where it engages and then fails to stay engaged.  A tired battery could exasperate the situation.

It's a long shot but had a '72 Buick once that was very hard to start due to a weak fuel pump.  If nothing else it is an excuse to purchase a fuel pressure gauge to add to the tool box. :)

Have you changed your timing at all?  IIRC your Eagle has silly low miles, right?  Wouldn't expect a low mileage engine to have a worn timing chain.  If the timing is off it could cause a lot of the hard start and poping through the carb.

Lastly, suggest pulling the valve cover and checking the valvetrain to see if it is out of adjustment.

Best of luck.  Post up what you figure out.  Hope it's an easy/cheap fix.

thereverendbill:
I am with checking the timing as well.  the dist hold down bolt may be loose causing it to jump around time 

Prafeston:
I've been trying to adjust timing, but the stupid cheap gun I bought barely worked the first time I got it and now it won't work at all. Does Advance Auto or O'Reilly's rent/let you borrow a timing gun?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version