News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 08:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In tank pump?  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
In tank pump?
« on: July 01, 2014, 09:18:03 AM »
Doing my XJ drivetrain swap at the tail end of summer. Been debating on an inline or in tank pump, but I think I'm going to drop my tank anyways so I might stick an XJ pump in there.

Since this we be my first time, what needs to be modified to get a XJ pump to work inside the Eagle tank?

I know the tank is good. I don't have it in my funds for a whole new tank and to modify something else to fit.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: In tank pump?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »
I was going to mod the filler on the XJ tank and cork the original then put it in (we test fit to the parts Wagon)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:19:37 PM »
The tank on my xj has holes. My eagle one is new almost.

Any ideas what mods the in tank xj pump will need to fit the stock Eagle tank?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
Don't know. I plan to use a Grand Caravan setup if I use anything else (self adjusting and I have an almost new one)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:38:31 PM »
What is this Grand Caravan stuff you're talking about?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 02:07:31 AM »
I already had it ($400 unit) but I have to cut a hole in the top of the tank to make it work.

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 09:35:17 PM »
I just put a zj pump in my eagle and have a thread on it at the evo site....I dont know how to move the thread over to this site...its a whole swap of the 4.0 fuel injection onto the 258 in the eagle...I just got it started for the first time today.
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 01:57:04 PM »
The whole drivetrain is coming over from the donor XJ. Its got 100k KM on it (60k miles) so I don't want to pass it up. More power, bit more efficient, and easier to deal with in the cold.

Does the tank need to be modified for the pump to fit in, or does the stock Eagle fuel tank hole allow for another pump just to slide in and be done?

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
The fuel pump itself will just fit into the eagle tank. You have to make a hole for the power wire also tho. I drilled a hole in the tank and sealed it with one of the electrical connectors off of the zj's fuel pump housing. It took some tlc but it worked for me.
Joe Washburn
1998 jeep grand

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 03:16:49 PM »
I drilled a hole in the sender plate to pass the wire through with a viton grommet and dab of gas proof silicone.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:34:23 PM »
So what you're telling me is that you just stuck the fuel pump onto the existing Eagle pump and ran the wire through?

Would this work for a XJ fuel pump?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »
I didn't measure it, but the common GM one should work. Another thought is a Dodge Caravan pump assembly and cut a hole in the top of the Eagle tank to fit it in. The gauge will need to be accounted for as well.

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »

how is this for ya. Eagle fuel pickup tube sendor and a jeep xj pump on the end of it all. It fits through  the hole. With no baffling  in the tank when you get down to 1/4 tank it will catch air on a sharp right turn so i just keep it full
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:04:55 PM by amchornet »
Joe Washburn
1998 jeep grand

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk