News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 05:59:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The story of my 85 wagon so far.  (Read 2148 times)

Offline WhatDidIGetInto

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
The story of my 85 wagon so far.
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »
I've been a big fan of station wagons for the last few years. My last 2 cars have been wagon. I had been hearing about these 4-wheel drive station wagons from the 80's, and it really piqued my interests. About a year ago I saw 3 of 'em at the junkyards down here in San Diego. They didn't even put 'em out to have parts taken, just lined up for the crusher, but I sat in one and fell in love. I knew I had to buy one!
Fast forward to December, I had just been browsing Craigslist, and for shits-n-giggles I looked for an Eagle. One popped up for $1500! I called the guy up, and he said it has 85k on it, a rebuilt head, and new tires and brakes. In the heat of them moment, I posted my perfectly reliable Saturn wagon that I've completely refurbished on CL to fund the purchasing of this Eagle. Two days later, I had the cash and met with the guy with the Eagle. He was a slick auto-auctioneer with a compound of junky cars out where all the junkyards are it. He kept saying that it was his dad's car, and he used it down in Baja California and he was dying of brain cancer or something. Gave it a look-over and it was a beat up 1985 Eagle with a 5sp, a few dents, front right corner had been pushed in a bit, the usual wear of a 26 year old car, and the tag on the license plate had expired 6 months prior. All of it not a big deal because it was an Eagle! I took the car out for a test drive and it only drove in 4wd mode. I figgered I was gonna put an XJ rear-end in it anyways, and offered him $1200 for it. Once I had bought the car and was ready to drive away, the slick douche tells me "oh, knowing my dad that 2011 tag probably isn't for this car." I peeled off the tag and it was over a 2005 tag. I had to pay $627 just to get this thing registered! Next time I'll use the VIN # to find out how much it'll cost to register a vehicle! I've since looked through the lien papers, and noticed that this car had only been driven 3000 miles since 1998, and had just been bouncing from one auto storage place to another.
Now that this thing is mine, I haven't really driven it in the 6 weeks I've owned it. My dad has a stock XJ with a D35, 3.54's with a really tight limited slip in it. I bought him a Dana 44, that he fixed up, to swap for the D35. He did the swap. With the lower gearing, bigger tires were needed. I moved from 205/75r15's to 30x9.5r15's and don't want to lift it. So my current project is to hack away or hammer in anything in the way. The next thing I have to do it rebuild the carb, and then pray it passes CA smog! Either way, here's some pics.

Here it is with the 30's and no cutting. I had maybe 5 degrees of turning radius!

With the fenders off, gettin' ready to remove some rocker panel.

The offending rocker panel.

After some moments with a 4.5" cut off wheel, but it looks like I'm gonna have to bash in the firewall with the sledge to guarantee clearance at full-stuff and turned wheel.

Prafeston

Re: The story of my 85 wagon so far.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the all the carb and smog inspection stuff. Rollguy is a CA dude, he might be able to help you out in that department.

The Exterior doesn't look too bad. Sucks about the back logs on the inspection sticker stuff!

Offline j2sax

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:42:22 AM »
Before you go bashing in too hard on the firewall, have you thought about wheel spacers or wheel with a different offset?  If you move the wheels further out it should help.  Also, you can get a little bit of lift by putting spacers/shims under the spring mounts.  Fellow named Mick showed me that trick a while back, though I don't currently have one with them on it.  For a 1/2 spacer there, I picked up more than an inch of lift.  Not into blocks in the rear for heavy off-roading, but an inch block would not be a big deal in any case. 

Good luck... sorry to hear about your issues.

Have a great weekend,

Jesse

Offline WhatDidIGetInto

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 03:57:52 PM »
I was considering the budget 2" lift, but I think it would be detrimental to the ride quality because it would remove most downward movement in the front suspension. An issue with running wheel spacers in the front would be scrubbing. With the Jeep alloys my tires are rotate at the center of the contact patch with the ground, which makes for better handling and less wear on the power steering system's components.
Plus, hacked up fenders just make the Eagle look more brutish. I'll post some pictures later when it's back together.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk