News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 18, 2024, 10:29:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stumped the oil change guys  (Read 18669 times)

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Stumped the oil change guys
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 10:57:53 AM »
If they run out or don't know what oil or air filter will work in an Eagle  - tell them to put in one from a Gremlin. The Gremlin Oil filter is larger but fits a little tighter that's all.  Air and gas line filters are the same.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »
Regalwizard; FYI a local chain of "quick oil change shops" here settled out of court on charges that they sabotage cars, especially older ones and ones brought in by women.  I have long suspected this, but the settlement is as good as an admission of guilt.  It would be foolish of me to specify a name. The settlement prohibits release of the details.   If you must use an oil change service, use one linked to an oil brand.  They have more to protect: reputation, quality of service etc.  :amc:
FWIW I take our Cherokee and Hyundai (please spare me; my wife loves it and she lets me keep the Eagles in exchange :rotfl:) to their respective dealers if I can't change their oil myself. And if an Eagle needs an oil change I park it until I get to it. The quick-change establishment up the street, at one time a reputable business, changed hands and I haven't been back since. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »
Do it yourself on the Eagle.  Its easy and you can make sure its done right.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »
IIRC, the filter changed in '86 to metric thread as well as on the Jeeps.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline chiboy

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
I would never trust my honey (eagle) to an oil change place without insisting using a good oil filter. There are only 3 filters that I will use, WIX, Purolator, and NAPA(made by WIX for NAPA). If you Google problems with Fram filters you will find out they use cardboard for their anti drain back valve and when they are cut open brand new, often times the filtering element has big voids in it, they are made in China just like virtually all other filters, except for the above mentioned. Yes there are others that are good such as K&N but the most quality and bang for your buck are the ones that I named.     

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 07:04:38 PM »
I cut all filters open. I personally seen frams problems. You also neglected to mention fram has less filter media. Motorcraft is also good.

Manitowoc WI

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 07:16:41 PM »
Wix also makes CARQUEST's private label filters.  Just got one for the Ambo.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 12:08:14 AM »
Delcos are good too as well as Amsoil's
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 03:09:19 AM »
I use AMSOIL filters and oil for my vehicles. The synthetic filter traps more and there are demonstrations on youtube.com on the effectiveness of the oil filter compared to others. Together, they have cleaned my engine and my 87 Eagle's oil doesn't get dirty anymore. It did get dirty right away, but that was the Amsoil cleaning out the sludge and grime/dirt from the engine. It is well worth it to me and gives me peace of mind that I am using the right thing.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk