News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 07:03:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stumped the oil change guys  (Read 18669 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Stumped the oil change guys
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:39:26 PM »
I usually never let ANYBODY turn wrenches on my cars unless I absolutely have to but the Eagle was way overdue for an oil change so I took it to the Castrol quick change place. Surprisingly I was in and out in under 15 minutes! The best part was they didn't even try to sell me stuff I didn't need, trans flush, wipers, air filter etc...

When I went to settle the bill I had an interesting conversation with the clerk.

Them:
"We almost couldn't do your oil change. We tried looking your car up in the computer and it didn't come up with the part # for the filter"

Me:
"What did you do, look it up as a Jeep?"

Them:
"No, punched in the VIN and it brought up the oil filter #. Funny thing is that's the only part we can get. If you want an air filter you have to go to Advanced Auto or Napa."

The oil change guys did seem to be impressed by the car, definitely not something they see every day!

Prior to going to the oil change place I stopped by vatozone and got an air filter. While installing the filter there were several people walking by who knew exactly what I was driving and shared their Eagle stories from yesteryear. Always neat to hear stories like that.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:41:52 PM by Zoro »
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

amcbigeagle

Re: Stumped the oil change guys
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:05:53 PM »
Just when I think that all is lost and the whole place is going to hades in a handcart, young generation is over the edge, (enter any old fogie adage here) I was at O'Reillys getting something for the 86 Eagle and not only did they speak fluent AMC but knew at a glance out the window what I was driving. Also stopped at a local gas station and when I went inside to pay for the petrol, the  young lady behind the counter made my whole day when she told me "that is the sweetest car I have ever seen. What is it?"

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:08:22 PM »
Fluent AMC should count as a second language.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »
Fluent AMC should count as a second language.

Amen

I took my Eagle to the local oil change place once, and they immediately were like, "We don't have the parts to work on your car."  Told them it was a Jeep engine, but it didn't matter - they didn't work on that genre of car.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »

Amen

I took my Eagle to the local oil change place once, and they immediately were like, "We don't have the parts to work on your car."  Told them it was a Jeep engine, but it didn't matter - they didn't work on that genre of car.

It's a liability. We've had customers come in for easy work like that, where it doesn't list the part. We KNOW we have the filter, etc that will fit it.. but we can't do it.

We had a customer try to sue us, over the fact that the service advisory told her we didn't have the filter for X car, but it was the same motor as Y car. The filter ended up leaking and she FREAKED. I tried to explain to her what happened [new guy screwed it up.. nothing to do with the filter], showed her, put on a NEW filter of the exact same type.. she said she wanted to see the listing for it. I checked, it didn't list a filter. Ended up getting a letter from her lawyer a few days later, saying that they wanted us to pay for a brand new engine.. even though there was no harm done. We ended up having to pay for Infiniti to look at it, assure her that there was no damage, etc. Infiniti ended up sending us back an invoice for a few hundred bucks, and stated that it was the proper filter. EXACT same filter used on the Nissan 3.5's... but because we didn't have an actual listing for it, we just 'knew' she still got away with a few hundred bucks worth of compensation on top of us having Infiniti inspect it.

From now on, if it's not listed the shop policy is don't install any parts. Even if you pull one part out, and it's stamped the same number. You'd be amazed at the rules they've had to put in place over stupid customers..

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 08:20:28 AM »
You'd be amazed at the rules they've had to put in place over stupid customers..

Its too bad you have to protect people from themselves  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
My Boss commented to a customer with a Jeep question that I spoke fluent English, French, Spanish and AMC/Jeep. So does Isabelle (co-worker) but she also speaks fluent german car.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 05:38:24 PM »
You'd be amazed at the rules they've had to put in place over stupid customers..

Its too bad you have to protect people from themselves  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

I've worked in parts stores for years and this was always a frustration to me.  I worked at a parts store that was close to the Pismo Beach dunes.  I would get customers coming in asking for things they broke (lots of brake hoses).  Most of the time it was a custom hose for a lifted truck.  I would go through books and match something up to get them off the beach.  I would explain that there was no returns no warranty because this was not "proper" for the vehicle and they would often come back during the week wanting returns, exchanges, or sometimes to just get mad that they had to pay $40 for a temporary fix when they now needed to order the proper hose.  Stuff like this made me need to retire from the retail side of the parts world and move over to the wholesale side. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 10:01:49 PM »
I would explain that there was no returns no warranty because this was not "proper" for the vehicle and they would often come back during the week wanting returns, exchanges, or sometimes to just get mad that they had to pay $40 for a temporary fix when they now needed to order the proper hose.  Stuff like this made me need to retire from the retail side of the parts world and move over to the wholesale side. 

I HATE working at the desk. I only do it when we're in a pinch, just because I see to be the only person who can do both... I've had several customers try to return winter tires, after the season is over.. because they "didnt like how they felt."....

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »
I would explain that there was no returns no warranty because this was not "proper" for the vehicle and they would often come back during the week wanting returns, exchanges, or sometimes to just get mad that they had to pay $40 for a temporary fix when they now needed to order the proper hose.  Stuff like this made me need to retire from the retail side of the parts world and move over to the wholesale side. 

I HATE working at the desk. I only do it when we're in a pinch, just because I see to be the only person who can do both... I've had several customers try to return winter tires, after the season is over.. because they "didnt like how they felt."....

Not that we want to hijack the thread and make it "how hard it is to work sales" thread, I wanted to share another fun retail story that pushed me to wholesale parts sales. 

I was working for an independently owned NAPA at the time.  A customer came in and set a group 24 battery on my counter.  He said he needed a battery.  I asked if he needed a battery just like that.  He said "yep, I need a battery just like this."  I grabbed one off the shelf and sent him on his way.  A couple days later I get paged to go to the owners office.  I get in there and the two owners are in there and they asked me to shut the door when I came in.  I sat down and was given the situation.  This guy went out and installed his battery on his own.  He ended up hooking the battery up backwards and burning up an ECU and his ignition module.  He took it to a shop to have it fixed and send NAPA the bill.  The reason he felt we were responsible... by application the car takes a 24R battery (reverse terminal).  I never asked the application as he asked me "for a battery like this."  I told the owners what happened and they didn't care about the reason and I got reprimanded for "being lazy and not looking up the parts."  *sigh* Luckily now I work with wholesale customers and I don't work for those owners anymore.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
I would explain that there was no returns no warranty because this was not "proper" for the vehicle and they would often come back during the week wanting returns, exchanges, or sometimes to just get mad that they had to pay $40 for a temporary fix when they now needed to order the proper hose.  Stuff like this made me need to retire from the retail side of the parts world and move over to the wholesale side.  

Not that we want to hijack the thread and make it "how hard it is to work sales" thread, I wanted to share another fun retail story that pushed me to wholesale parts sales.  

I was working for an independently owned NAPA at the time.  A customer came in and set a group 24 battery on my counter.  He said he needed a battery.  I asked if he needed a battery just like that.  He said "yep, I need a battery just like this."  I grabbed one off the shelf and sent him on his way.  A couple days later I get paged to go to the owners office.  I get in there and the two owners are in there and they asked me to shut the door when I came in.  I sat down and was given the situation.  This guy went out and installed his battery on his own.  He ended up hooking the battery up backwards and burning up an ECU and his ignition module.  He took it to a shop to have it fixed and send NAPA the bill.  The reason he felt we were responsible... by application the car takes a 24R battery (reverse terminal).  I never asked the application as he asked me "for a battery like this."  I told the owners what happened and they didn't care about the reason and I got reprimanded for "being lazy and not looking up the parts."  *sigh* Luckily now I work with wholesale customers and I don't work for those owners anymore.

I used to sell auto parts for a LONG time, I could probably go on all day about stupid people but here's one of my favorites. Guy comes in with a Ford diesel with twin group 65 batteries needing new ones. Cheapest group 65 on the shelf was $80 each so he goes for the cheapest thing on the shelf, a pair of 26R(Geo Metro batteries) at $54 each. I advised the guy that it was a BAD idea to run the wrong batteries but he insisted so we had to sell him the batteries. Several days later we get a cold spell and he comes back in trying to return the batteries. Being the store manager he goes over my head to the district manager and gets what he wants, I get an earful and he's still a moron. :censored:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:20:20 AM by Zoro »
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 10:19:21 AM »
Regalwizard; FYI a local chain of "quick oil change shops" here settled out of court on charges that they sabotage cars, especially older ones and ones brought in by women.  I have long suspected this, but the settlement is as good as an admission of guilt.  It would be foolish of me to specify a name. The settlement prohibits release of the details.   If you must use an oil change service, use one linked to an oil brand.  They have more to protect: reputation, quality of service etc.  :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
Quote from: Zoro

I used to sell auto parts for a LONG time, I could probably go on all day about stupid people but here's one of my favorites. Guy comes in with a Ford diesel with twin group 65 batteries needing new ones. Cheapest group 65 on the shelf was $80 each so he goes for the cheapest thing on the shelf, a pair of 26R(Geo Metro batteries) at $54 each. I advised the guy that it was a BAD idea to run the wrong batteries but he insisted so we had to sell him the batteries. Several days later we get a cold spell and he comes back in trying to return the batteries. Being the store manager he goes over my head to the district manager and gets what he wants, I get an earful and he's still a moron. :censored:

I work for an independent NAPA and my boss says to cover my butt by putting a message line in stating to the effect that customer was verbally notified parts are incorrect for their vehicle and have them sign your copy of the receipt.
   Had one bring in a group 24 battery and I sold them a group 24 to match and the idiot put it in backwards and came back on me, claiming it wasn't the same as he brought in. Luckily, the battery guy had been there that morning and the only battery on the core pile, which he swore up and down wasn't his (our new video system will now catch them in a lie) was a group 24.
   When I worked at corporate NAPA I had someone come in, buy the Phillips brighter bulbs then come back in claiming I'd sold him the wrong ones (9004 vs 9007) and demanding his money back. Manager showed up and placated the jackass, gave him the money back (I wasn't allowed to say anything) and the guy left. As soon as he left, I was hauled into the office where I had to put up with how I needed an "attitude adjustment" BS for longer than I could stand, so I broke in with "Will you ***** listen a minute? Those are Silver stars which are NOT our brand!" and I walked out of the office.
   He got demoted shortly after and tried his damnedest to get me fired, thinking I had something to do with it (he got caught harassing female co-workers who quit and threatened to sue) Just recently he got caught stealing from the company and got fired. In his wake, at least 10 GOOD employees that I know of were either fired or quit.
   In fact, he's the main reason I left.

/hijack
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 12:41:45 PM »
Regalwizard; FYI a local chain of "quick oil change shops" here settled out of court on charges that they sabotage cars, especially older ones and ones brought in by women.  I have long suspected this, but the settlement is as good as an admission of guilt.  It would be foolish of me to specify a name. The settlement prohibits release of the details.   If you must use an oil change service, use one linked to an oil brand.  They have more to protect: reputation, quality of service etc.  :amc:

I had my run in with Q-no-Lube with my '83 Wagoneer. Cost me a rear diff I paid $80 to have filled and it "all leaked out" in less than 100 miles of highway driving. Yeah, right! I limped into another Q-lube and they said the fill plug had never been touched (full of crud)
   They went out of business 2 weeks later after I filed lawsuit.

AMC lifer

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
Several years ago, I took my Eagle to the oil change palce in Aberdeen, SD.  I was not impressed. First of all, the said that they (mechanic & foreman) could not find the tranny dipstick. I told them that it is where any Chrysler tranny dipstick was of that era. Then while watching them, I noticed that while filling it with oil, he ut the lid on one of the bottles & stuck it on a shelf. The rest he threw away. When I asked about this, he claimed that the engine only took 4 1/2 qts. of oil. I told him that it took 5 & showed him in the owner's manual that it took 5. He got mad & put in a total of 5 1/2 qts. I never have went back to them & tried to steer anyone who would listen away from them as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk