News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 19, 2024, 09:04:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Eagle of a different breed (and you thought OUR cars were rare...)  (Read 7005 times)

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
This '88 (?) Eagle Medallion wagon has appeared at the repair shop just up the street from me.  It appears to have not been washed for some time, but has current tags.  Other than being dirty, it could very well be the finest remaining example on the planet.

I remember seeing one of these on the lot at the Jeep/Eagle dealer in Gloucester, VA when they first came out, but I don't think I EVER saw one actually on the road.  I'll bet the production numbers on these make sales of the AMC Eagles look like an Accord or Camry.

Probably interesting only to me, but thought it was so unlikely I would share it with the group.  There would have been a time where this car sat on the same dealer lot as the final-year AMC Eagle.  (Even though the French Weirdness factor is just too high for me to even ask if this car is for sale, it does seem like it has an incredible amount of space for a compact wagon, AND it has a forward facing third row seat, which I would never have expected.)

Badge says: "Imported for EAGLE"

Patrick        Palmyra, VA
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
2017 Jeep Renegade Altitude
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: An Eagle of a different breed (and you thought OUR cars were rare...)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »
To me its horrible chyysler did that. I hate all thoughts to this breed.

Manitowoc WI

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:48:52 PM »
There used to be a few of those things running around here in colorado springs, most were the sedans however. I havent seen one for 15 years or better. It was intended to replace the not so popular (in the states atleast) 18i sportwagon. It first hit showrooms in early 87', possibly even very late 86', but was only sold through AMC for a few months as a "Renault Medallion" when Chrysler snatched up AMC on March 9, 1987 it was rebadged the"Eagle Medallion"....it was short lived though, Chrysler dropped it in I believe early 1989. It was sold in europe up until 1994.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »
DarthGremlin if there are to many complaints about this so call Eagle you will get ban from the forum for the rest of your short life since some real AMC Eagles will be sent to take care of the problem.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:52:34 PM »
Last week I went to the local transmission shop and saw an Eagle Summit in the parking lot next to what had to be the oldest looking Honda in existence. This car looks so plain. Is it a RWD? :-\
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline DarthGremlin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 06:39:43 AM »
I wasn't looking to get banned from the forum for the rest of my life (although I hope it is not "short")...just thought this car was odd enough to share with the group.  I certainly don't condone it's existence as an "Eagle".  I think we all agree that the hurried nature with which Chrysler cobbled together the "Eagle" brand was, at best, ineffective, and, at worst, a travesty of epic proportions for those of thus who cared so much about AMC and the real Eagle.

I was just shocked that there was still one of these out there that was moving under its own power.  The fact that it was a wagon made it even more strange.  Just trying to share a unique sighting.

So, guys, just to be clear, I think this Medallion is a horrible car.

Patrick        Palmyra, VA
1984 AMC Eagle Limited
2017 Jeep Renegade Altitude
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself"- Han Solo

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 12:27:52 PM »
The European version was called Renault Nevada.
It was bad car, but very popular because of the space it had.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:19:36 PM »
The only eagle brand car that's not horrible is the talon. A buddy of mine had one in highschool and was pushing 450 horsepower and he still drove it in the winters because it was awd. I don't love them but he never had any problems with his and he loved it.

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 02:28:10 PM »
To me its horrible chyysler did that. I hate all thoughts to this breed.
I second that.  I don't really care what happens to these cars...  :P
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline T5258

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »

So, guys, just to be clear, I think this Medallion is a horrible car.

[/quote]

As someone who owned a Medallion (Renault badged) for several years, as well as an Eagle Premier, AND 2 SX/4's and an 84 wagon, let me say the Medallion was by no means a horrible car.  It was a victim of the Chrysler takeover, just like the Premier was...The Medallion was BY FAR the most "americanized" Renault to that point in time.  It had a decent amount of power, good handling (without the typical french car lean) and an excellent ride.  My parents purchased it new in Nov 87, and had NO problems with it at all.  I took it over in 1992 and had it for a couple of years, the only major expense being a t-belt replacement before it decided to break.  So, to say the Medallion is a horrible car is a little unfair....should it (or the Premier) have been badged as an Eagle?  No, but that isn't the car's fault.....
1987 Eagle Limited
1985 Corvette
2009 Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

remember:  no matter where you go.......there you are

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:16:14 PM »
renaults and mitsubishis had their ok cars and their terrible cars as most all auto manufacturers have (except AMC  ;D ). In my opinion a true "Eagle" was a model of car that went down fighting in a blaze of glory in 1987 being the last actual AMC passanger car produced....The "Eagle" brand in my opinion is just a symbol of chryslers lack of ambition. About the only "eagle" that chrysler actually had a major hand in was the "Vision"

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 12:37:39 AM »
So how long were this things in the market?
Is Renault the Co that one of its major shareholder was the Vatican or was that the Fiat?
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 03:04:11 AM »
I would imagine fiat...being Italian and all....however Mercedes Benz has built the "Pope-Mobiles" for the Vatican for some time now....I wonder if Mercedes has some financial ties to the vatican as well.

Offline AMCKen

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 13
    • American Motors Club of Alberta
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
Perhaps connected with the Vatican in that you prayed you'd get to your destination. : )
39Master85w.partscar,67Marlin343,68AMX343,70Machine,73Matador2drht401,
73-74-75-76GremlinXs,75PacerX,76Hornet2dsd,76-77Matadorcpes,
2-77AMXs304,78AMX304,78GremlinGT,78Concordsw,79Concordhb,79PacerDL304,
2-79AMXs304/401,2-80AMXs258/401,80SpiritDL304, 80Eagle4dsdn,3-81SX4s,
81SpiritGT,2-81Concord4dsd,82Eaglesw,2-85Eaglesw,2-80J20/360,85J10/258,2-88Eaglesw,
94Sentra2dsd   (42)

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 03:53:25 PM »
In my opinion a true "Eagle" was a model of car that went down fighting in a blaze of glory in 1987 being the last actual AMC passanger car produced

I disagree with that. The Jeep Cherokee was one of the most popular cars ever in terms of how long they were made without any significant changes and by how many were sold. The XJ is entirely AMC engineered. Even my 2000 XJ shares the same doors, engine, fenders, and interchangeable bumpers as a 1986 AMC XJ. It was all Chrysler could manage to improve small things like the intake and fuel injection. They were working with a solid design and they couldn't make anything drastically better. My 1985 AMC CJ8 Scrambler is also a direct ancestor of my 2006 Jeep TJ. I still consider it an AMC design that Chrysler just ran with. Lastly is the military Humvee and Generation one hummers. Those were designed by the same AMC engineers that designed the Eagle. It wasn't until Renault bought out too much stock in AMC that the government mandated that AM General be split off as its own company to prevent a foreign company from controlling a military vehicle supply. I'd love to put a Humvee NP242AMG where I now have a NP242J in my Eagle. AMC had a huge influence on many cars still made today.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:59:20 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk