News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:46:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4x4 vaccum diagram?  (Read 4829 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
4x4 vaccum diagram?
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
when I disassembaled my eagle half the vaccum lines related to the 4wd were either broken or disconnected....If I recall theres only 3 lines off the switch...Im just curious as to how they hook up to to the vaccum diaphragms on the front axle and the T-case...Is there a diagram here on the nest of the proper routing of the 4x vaccum lines.....I may delete the front vac motor and make her shift on the fly!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: 4x4 vaccum diagram?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:21:50 AM »
The AMC Eaglepedia have some.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »
The real problem is finding the vinyl or poly hard vacuum lines. You may have to order them, as I've never seen them at a parts store, except in black and short sections.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:38:52 AM »
Thats been a concern of mine....However I know from driving truck in the past, alot of stuff is controlled via air. If memory serves There were air lines about the size of the ones in the eagle that ran from various switches in the dash of the Freightliner I used to drive....Im thinking the first place to look will be at the Colorado Kenworth parts dept.....Lets hope Im right.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 04:02:42 PM »
I recently needed to refer to a drawing I made some time back. Maybe someone else may find it useful.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 10:46:44 PM »
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Mr_Roboto

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 10:43:13 AM »
A few questions,

1-where is the vacuum resivoir typically at?
2-where does the line for the awd systems connect in?
3-does the resivoir connect straight to engine vacuum on the other side?

The systems underhood were significantly altered and I am trying to piece things back together. It looks as if the red/green/white lines are still there.

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 12:01:11 PM »
1. The vacuum reservoir on mine is bolted to the driver side inner fender, between the coolant reservoir and shock tower.  Most people would say it looks like a coffee can.  There is a pic of my engine bay here for reference: https://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=47004.msg362957#msg362957 (shameless plug I know lol) If you flip the pic right side up, it's the little round can in the lower right of course.

2.  I'm not sure exactly where.  I'm headed to the shop later today, I can see where mine are plumbed in.  I can say that I disconnected mine and ended up hooking it back up.  Without it, the transfer case would neutral out sometimes after an extended high-RPM blast.  Your results may vary, I'm sure I have less vacuum available with my big ol' Holley on top.

3. Yes.  See #2, I'll check later where they are routed.

If you're looking for other ideas to get you by, I thought I saw somewhere here where a guy made a manual shift lever like Jeeps have for the t-case.  Or ya could just disconnect the vacuum motor and keep it in 4wd all the time.  Won't hurt a thing as long as your tires are all the same...
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline Mr_Roboto

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 12:25:10 PM »
Thanks!

I think I will wind up in the same boat honestly. I yave a 500cfm afb and supposedly a cam. Mine is a bit different than your coffee can but same idea.

There is a small line going into the car, but I think that is the heater water valve.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 09:37:49 PM »
Mine is a plastic canister that bolts on the passenger inner fender below the ignition module. It has a large diameter hose run over the valve cover and to a port for Manifold vacuum close to the firewall.

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 11:54:57 AM »
I keep forgetting these cars changed a lot in their short timespan.  Mine is an 84.  The EVAP charcoal canister was right below it; black plastic can a lot like what MIPS was describing.  I looked where my hoses are routed; it took a little digging since they were both wrangled into the main wiring loom.  The larger one went to a port on the rear of the intake manifold, so straight up direct vacuum.  The other went to a check valve (those little round disc things you may see in various places with a line plugged into each side of the flat part) on the passenger side.  The other side of the check valve was the black vacuum line going to the 4wd block down by the starter.

Hope this helps. :) I did a major vacuum line delete so there may have been a tee eliminated somewhere.
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline Mr_Roboto

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 02:22:59 PM »
I think that "vacuum block by the starter" is the answer I'm looking for, and that the line is non existent on my car currently. I was hoping to save crawling under to find it, but I think that it was expected.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 03:02:34 PM »
It's a set of steel lines that run to the back (and front on earlier models) to simplify a lot of plumbing and is bolted to.....huh I seem to of forgotten.  :o
Anyways if the transmission or engine was dropped it would of needed to be removed and if someone modified the TC to be always-on it was removed and tossed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk