News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 05:34:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: oil change humor  (Read 26364 times)

68AMXGOPAC

Re: oil change humor
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »
Missed this topic before...

guys, youre scaring the  :censored: out of me !

Just changed oil and filter, guess what ? Yes, Fram PH5 filter.  :banghead:

And, for added "safety", Fram AirHog filter for my air.

While the air is no big worry, you made me seriously think about throwing away the oil one.

But... what to buy ? And can I simply swap filters without waiting for next oil change ? With a cold engine, I guess all the oil drops down in the pan, below the filter level, so it could be done...

who knows, all I know is I have used Fram oil filters for over 20+ years , change my oil every 3-4,000 miles never had an issue , in my Camry, my 2 nissan trucks, my AMX, or the eagles or Caddy.......for what it is worth.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »
And if I could add , most of them went over 200,000 miles except for the Caddy which has 120,000 on it now , and my AMX wich is around 105,000.I did watch the videos, is kinda scary, but I could make a scary video against anything just as well.
I do get WIX mostly now, because I moved and the parts store carrys that brand.I believe if your changing your oil regularly as you should, there shouldn't be any issues....

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
What turned me off of fram was the rubber gasket thing internal whatever its called is loose. Again I cut filters open on a change. Or whenever I change anyones car oil. If its fram that gasket is loose.

Manitowoc WI

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 09:28:45 PM »
I didn't know all this about Fram.  I'll be more careful when getting filters from now on.

Walmart here didn't have my filter listed right either, in the book (pinned next to the filters) or on the computer. 

Fram used to be a good filter.  But now they are just selling the name, not the quality.
I've been told they used to be good, until they started using Honeywell to build them.
Bosch, K&N, STP all carry our filters. Remember, these engines were in the CJs and YJs, which even now are far more common, and I'm quite sure they use the same thread size and pitch. Wal-Mart computers and most of their auto staff know $%* about cars, especially an Eagle, in MOST cases. If you have time, consider changing your own oil for the same price. Then, you know it's you turning the wrench instead of someone who may have never seen an Eagle their entire life...
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »
The way I see it, there are some pretty obvious issues with frams that are in pretty important aspects of filter construction, including pleats. One video showed a gap in the pleating of one brand new fram... Oil and filter are among the most important decisions to make  with owning a car, and to sacrifice quality on the system that in failing would cause immediate ruination of the engine in severe cases, to save 100 bucks over the life of the engine is not worth it. It's not that much different from rebuilding an engine and reusing bearings and rings... yes, they could hold up if replaced shortly before rebuild, but its a risk that could obviously greatly shorten engine lifespan to save the 100 bucks. that's just my opinion though.... And I'm off my soapbox:P

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »
I haven't had anyone else change my oil in over 20 years.  I do it.  

I may have not known that Fram filters became crap ('cause they used to be good) because I haven't kept up, but that doesn't mean I don't do my own oil changes.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »
I haven't had anyone else change my oil in over 20 years.  I do it. 

I may have not known that Fram filters became crap ('cause they used to be good) because I haven't kept up, but that doesn't mean I don't do my own oil changes.

The changing oil thing was a general message, though I assumed incorrectly taht you took yours in to wal-mart >_<

What's your 'sona?

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2011, 01:07:08 AM »
The changing oil thing was a general message, though I assumed incorrectly taht you took yours in to wal-mart >_<

I suppose it might have seemed like that's what I mean, but... OMG, man never. 

When I was about 18 (about 25 years ago) a good friend went to a chain shop to get his oil changed, and they left the oil plug out, and wrecked his motor - His was totally peev'd off.  After that, I swore I'd never let anyone change my oil. 

Now if it was a brand new car, and it was part of my warranty for them to change it, then that's different. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk