News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:06:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 337018 times)

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #780 on: May 22, 2021, 05:07:36 PM »
OK. Wicked cool car by the way.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #781 on: May 23, 2021, 02:11:57 AM »
OK. Wicked cool car by the way.

Thanks.  If you ever make it into the city during the winter and want to have a look you can come by.  email me at [email protected] if you do.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #782 on: November 19, 2021, 09:33:50 PM »
I thought I had my spoiler all fixed after the previous repairs but I found cracks on the side of it:

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #783 on: November 19, 2021, 09:34:53 PM »
And here it is after paint and back on the car:

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #784 on: November 19, 2021, 09:41:22 PM »
It was a bit of a challenge getting the nuts and washer back on the spoiler.  My workaround was to put a circle of butyl on both the nut and washer, then put them in the socket so they stay will I push them up into place and turn them on:

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #785 on: November 19, 2021, 09:42:14 PM »
I pulled the spark plugs after 7k kilometers, they looked pretty grim for the amount of time they've been in there.  Hopefully the new ultra fine filter will keep the carburetor operating properly.  I have yet to drive the car since making these changes, last time I took it out it was steering erratically as it needs a power steering box.  The transmission pan is leaking pretty badly too but we don't have the funds to fix that stuff at this time.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #786 on: November 19, 2021, 09:45:18 PM »
One other thing I took on was to drill holes in the interior panel covering the hatch area so I can undo the hatch from inside the car if the popper should fail.

This way a socket can fit on the nuts holding on the post for the latch:

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #787 on: November 19, 2021, 09:50:46 PM »
The last thing I did on the Eagle was to touch up the paint on the inside of the hatch as a few rust spots had begun to show through, when I originally sprayed the inside of the hatch the paint was much too thin around the latch area..  I didn't have the original paint I used on the interior so I ended up with a semi-gloss that wasn't too far out as you can see in the after pictures:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:52:02 PM by priya »

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #788 on: November 20, 2021, 09:19:44 AM »
... I'm putting in a very large high efficiency fuel filter from a Cat diesel with 2 micron filter capacity.  The reason for this is there's a lot of rust sediment in my gas tank and new tanks are not available. ...
Keep an eye open for a fibreglass gas tank on parts cars.
Also, to save your tank before it's too far gone, consider pulling it and treating it.
  • Washed out with a detergent like Dawn, fully rinsed, then some Evapo-rust inside, spending some time in different orientations to get rust off of all internal surfaces.
  • Then you can make the call on if you put a layer of fibreglass in places on the outside, or give it a layer all over, just because. I'd be tempted to use epoxy resin. 
  • Plus, to prevent future rust inside, there are coatings for inside gas tanks. I had access to them from a friend who rebuilt airplanes. I guess they thought that having an engine quiet due to a rusted tank would be a bad thing.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #789 on: November 20, 2021, 01:32:50 PM »
Keep an eye open for a fibreglass gas tank on parts cars.
Also, to save your tank before it's too far gone, consider pulling it and treating it.
  • Washed out with a detergent like Dawn, fully rinsed, then some Evapo-rust inside, spending some time in different orientations to get rust off of all internal surfaces.
  • Then you can make the call on if you put a layer of fibreglass in places on the outside, or give it a layer all over, just because. I'd be tempted to use epoxy resin. 
  • Plus, to prevent future rust inside, there are coatings for inside gas tanks. I had access to them from a friend who rebuilt airplanes. I guess they thought that having an engine quiet due to a rusted tank would be a bad thing.

"fiberglass gas tank"?  What cars would have a fiberglass gas tank?

Thanks for the suggestions Canoe, I don't know why we didn't try something like that when we were putting the car together.  The husband wasn't warm to the idea of putting a coating inside the tank although I don't recall why.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #790 on: November 20, 2021, 08:46:01 PM »
"fiberglass gas tank"?  What cars would have a fiberglass gas tank?
The husband wasn't warm to the idea of putting a coating inside the tank although I don't recall why.
The fibreglass gas tank was on one of the Eagle parts-cars I got. It was a wagon too. Aftermarket replacement. Perfect fit to the stock size, straps, fill pipe & gasket, etc.. Seller made sure I knew about it so I'd grab it before scrapping the vehicle once I'd removed what I wanted. Needed a ground wire to the fuel level sender. I moved it to my '81 with its 119. I'm sure I kept that tank when the '81 went to scrap, but I don't recall where I stashed it. Think it's in my storage locker.

You don't want to guess when you put something inside the tank, as that may dissolve and go to the engine as gunk, or in solution and precipitate in the carb, etc.. You want something that is intended for, and rated for, gasoline, ethanol and steel tanks. Due to the ethanol in fuel, and the can's & sealer's age, I wouldn't use the old can of sealer I have from the aviation friend back in the 90's. Consider modern fuel additives too. Verifying it's good for your intended usage is NOT done by the online seller saying "sure it is!" Who makes it, what's the installation prep & procedure, and what's the warranty. Google turns some up, but you'd have to do your research. I'd want to find out what was in the liner, so I could look for products that failed that used those. 

As to if you should line it after you de-rust it, look to the vehicle restoration enthusiasts, where they're dealing with various degrees of rust, and possibly cracking, etc.. Simply pulling it and doing the de-rusting may be enough. If it hasn't lost much thickness to rust inside (I've no idea how to gauge that), I'd consider brushing or rolling some epoxy resin on the outside for rust proofing (may or may not be cheaper than DIY epoxy primer, or having a shop give it a flash coat of epoxy primer the next time they're shooting that), then a top coat of something like Waxoyl Hardwax.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #791 on: November 20, 2021, 09:34:54 PM »
priya's Eagle is an SX/4 and not one of the 50 series cars like the wagons and sedans that most of us have. And so unfortunately it has a different fuel tank. The only way to get a new fuel tank for her car that I know of would be to have someone make a new one and that's not going to be cheap.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #792 on: November 21, 2021, 10:31:11 AM »
Obviously a 30 series, but given someone was making aftermarket fibreglass tanks for the 50 series, someone could have done the same for the 30 series. So keep an eye out on parts cars.

And the scarcity and the cost of getting a new one custom made, is the reason why refurbish the current rusting gas tank before it needs patching or structural support.

Offline Trooper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #793 on: November 22, 2021, 05:53:44 AM »

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #794 on: November 22, 2021, 05:23:45 PM »
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Cherokee_gas_tank_retrofit

This is a good how-to, but they installed the Cherokee tank in a wagon, not an SX/4.  Would be nice if there was a good replacement for the stock tank!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk