The Shop > Gremlins

Random Intermittent Death

(1/7) > >>

DaemonForce:
Not sure why this happens but I'm sure we've all experienced this in our Eagles more than any Jeep and far more than any of us really care to explain. I want to address these critical problems since they have been especially plaguing me over the years and always at the worst possible times whether they be at stop signs, the freeway, bridges, right before crawling into parking spots or my personal favorite: in the middle of turning. I'm also becoming curious as to WHY this happens. Thing is, it's not just the place and timing but how it happens that constantly puzzles me.

I would care to note that I have recently changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel line, air filter, water pump and alternator. The parts that are of current suspicion to me are the fuel tank and carb.

What I no longer experience:
Early morning startup, engine starts for a few seconds, dies. I restart and all is well.
Engine does not want to work when going into gear. (Transmission failure)
Engine stalling at cold temperatures. (Air cleaner blowback)
Engine stalling within a few minutes of travel. (Coil failure)

What I experience lately:
Stalling while moving in city traffic.
HARD Stalling during long freeway trips with fog lights on. (Mimics a coil failure for about 5 minutes)
Stalling during freeway trips in very specific areas: 405 WA/OR bridges, Longview, Lacey.
Shift points are higher when cold.

During each of these scenarios my fuel tank is at about the halfway point so that rules out low fuel. My tank is almost empty at the moment and everything seems to run better right now so I'm suspicious of the fuel feeding line at the moment. Anyone care to help me troubleshoot these issues or share their sudden fails? I'm about a day away from dropping my fuel tank and clearing out any possible garbage that may be plugging the lines. If that doesn't fix things, I'm pretty much in the same place I started. x_x

carnuck:
Sounds like a module issue. I tested mine by coming home from work, popping the hood and hitting it with a rubber mallet. It was like someone turned the key! Wish I knew where my extras were. (not for me. I'm going EFI next)

rohnk:
I was thinking that maybe something electrical is getting hot. Ignition module like carnuck says, coil, plug wires, could also be a relay (fog light issue).

How about your battery or battery wires? Are they old, new? Might check for a loose or dirty ground connection.

jim:
I was experiencing sudden death in turns and sometimes while just driving at 40 - 45 mph.  Replacing the ignition control module resolved that particular issue with both the 83 and 88.  I am aware that a coil can also cause the same problem - get hot, quit, cool off, run again.

DaemonForce:

--- Quote from: rohnk on October 27, 2011, 09:29:20 PM ---I was thinking that maybe something electrical is getting hot. Ignition module like carnuck says, coil, plug wires, could also be a relay (fog light issue).
--- End quote ---
I need to investigate this a bit deeper. I have had several issues related to running my fog lights. I can use them, just seems like I can't use them for longer than 10 minute periods.

--- Quote from: rohnk on October 27, 2011, 09:29:20 PM ---How about your battery or battery wires? Are they old, new? Might check for a loose or dirty ground connection.
--- End quote ---
Recently cleaned and in good condition. They better be. I just replaced the alternator a few weeks ago. I don't need to be doing that again because of bad wires.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version