News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:02:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sanden 508 and R134 Conversion Question  (Read 2053 times)

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
Sanden 508 and R134 Conversion Question
« on: July 24, 2021, 12:10:21 PM »
I am doing an extensive refurbishing of the A/C system in my daughter's eagle. I have pulled the evaporator and had it flushed, clean and pressure tested. Same for the condenser. Dryer/Accumulator is new, as is the expansion valve, thermostat, and pressure switch. I had all three hoses custom made new and have fitted them with the green R134 o-rings.

The last thing I'm agonizing over is the compressor. I bought a replica Sanden 508 to replace my factory 508. I haven't touched it...yet. My plan was to install the new compressor, install lines, add PAG 100 oil and charge the system. But I've got this little niggling in the back of my brain that I'm about to make a big mistake here.

So my questions are:

1. I realize the Sanden 508 is designed for Mineral Oil / R12. Should I go ahead and use that new Sanden I bought, or is there another compressor I can use that is meant to run the higher pressure of R134? If so, what compressor?

2. Is PAG 100 the correct oil for my R134 retrofit?

3. How much oil does this brand new system take? The TSM says to use some obscure AMC dipstick to check the compressor (4 - 6 hash marks up??), and then add 1oz if you replace the evap, expansion valve, or accumulator. However, I doubt I would add 3 oz PLUS fill the compressor. So does anyone know how many ounces to add to the compressor, and then how much extra to add to the system assuming everything is either new or perfectly clean and dry?

Any help would be appreciated.

Once this is done, I'm going to do an extensive post on this retrofit as I think it will help others. It's been quite the journey figuring all this stuff out.

'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Sanden 508 and R134 Conversion Question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 04:12:51 PM »
I'll email you a copy of the Sanden manual that covers the Eagle compressors.  Has instructions on making a dipstick out of a piece of wire, and lots of other good info.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 05:32:11 PM »
I'll email you a copy of the Sanden manual that covers the Eagle compressors.  Has instructions on making a dipstick out of a piece of wire, and lots of other good info.

Amazing, thank you!! I got the email. Can’t wait to get home and read that attachment.
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline 86erfixer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 06:24:37 PM »
Sooooo somebody hacked the house over the valve cover off my eagle, and with dk red paint and red interior she gets mighty hot! Ive been contemplating a repair/retrofit in the future. I don't know much about these systems in particular, but I've done a few basic 134 conversions. I'm curious how you made out with your daughters eagle. I assume the 508 is original equipment? I still have my compressor, but it's obviously no more than a paperweight at this point!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk