News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:33:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wheel hub  (Read 1984 times)

Offline jeanajavelin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
wheel hub
« on: October 28, 2020, 10:30:41 AM »
New to Eagle ownership but not with AMC.  I recently picked up a 1985 Eagle Fleet model. I started going through it and the 1st thing I am tackleing is the rear wheel bearing and such.  I was able to get the driver side wheel hub off fairly easy but the passenger side was a battle.  After hours of soaking and having press pressure on it to pop off it did. In the process of separating the it spun causing scrape marks and damage to the wheel hub.  Would anyone  have a rear wheel  hub? There are no junkyards with these cars still in the yard....a lot have been crushed or closed down

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
Re: wheel hub
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 10:47:05 AM »
Hello,  Yes I have one laying in the barn ... just need an address as to where to send it .... Iron Horse   :o 

Offline jeanajavelin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 07:41:56 PM »
Oh wow that is great!  Does it have 27 spline count?  Eagle's rear is a AMC 15/dana 35   3.08 gear I believe

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 05:59:52 AM »
Hi Jeanajavelin, 
    I haven't counted the splines, but at one point I had 12 Eagles .. and have swapped hubs from Eagle to Eagle. AMC was great for using the same part for multiple models .. suspect Hornet hubs from late 70's would probably fit .. but never tried .. had 5 Hornet wagons at one time.
     Anyway, didn't want this to be a long read ..... If you email your address I'll send one of the ones I have.  Important to re-torque the axle nut to 250 foot pounds when you put the hub back on, or axle will spin in the hub destroying the cut splines in the hub.
                                                                                                    Regards, Iron Horse :o

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 02:51:14 PM »
Just a note to boost your confidence on getting the correct part -- all Eagle rear axle shafts/hubs are the same, even side to side (left and right axles are identical lengths).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 09:07:49 AM »
Just a note: Hub was sent to this Eagle owner ... I guess it worked ... I received no further communications.

Iron Horse  :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk