News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:36:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AC will not engage idle control  (Read 3589 times)

Offline marty

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
AC will not engage idle control
« on: June 19, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »
Idle control solenoid is working as turning on the headlights will energize it.  Manual is very vague about where ac input is, referring to the ac relay...which I have not been able to locate. 

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: AC will not engage idle control
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »
I'm not sure the A/C triggers the solenoid at all.   Look at pages B-263 - B-264 of the MR251 manual.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline marty

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »
George,
  Thanks for the reply.  This is on the 83 Wagon.  Emissions bypass has been done on both the the 83 and 86 so the MCU is out of the pic.  The 86 engages the sol vac w ac, headlights or rear window defog.  Rear window defog is inop on the 83 but it used to work for both ac and Headlights.  In the 83 TSM, pg iJ-38 it says the holding sol is engaged if hl, ac or rwd are energized.  In the 86 TSM, pg B-301 wiring diagram, it shows separate wires fm the systems to the sole vac but doesn't show where they come from...wiring...agh!

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:42:14 PM »
Well, I just looked thru my '83 manual, and it seems the Sol-Vac power feed circuit goes thru some other CEC stuff between the A/C compressor switch and the solenoid (thru the CEC diode assy. & idle speed relay).   Since you did the bypass, that may be why it isn't working.    So you may want to just bypass that CEC stuff, and run a wire direct from the A/C relay to the solenoid.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline marty

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 11:19:42 PM »
That is part of my problem...where is the ac relay?  Can't find a pic or description of the location!

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:43:44 AM »
This is a learning experience!   I think I got a clue (finally).   After wading thru more manuals, and checking my AMC parts books; I discovered that there is no A/C relay!!   Its simply the micro switch on the dash A/C control unit that triggers the compressor clutch circuit.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline marty

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »
Hmm, will have to try and trace the wire from the connector.  AC turns on so at least part of it is working!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk