News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 04, 2024, 07:19:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4x4 manual lock, 129 or 229  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Seagulls n Eagle

• "Joy"/8.25 3.55 future 4.0/ax15/np242
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
4x4 manual lock, 129 or 229
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »
Greetings, I have a NP129 in my 1984 eagle I'm preparing to swap out the stock transmission (to tf7272) and a NP229 to go in.
Questions:

Can both or either  of these transfercases be locked into position manually?
What's required to put them into 4x4 mode untill the appropriate shifting systems can be fixed/fabricated?

If they can be shifted into 4x4 from underneath, how hard is it to shift in and out of 4x4 from underneath?

Not sure if I have the time to set up the necessary systems to shift them from in the car.

What's required to lock them in position from under the car untill I have time to fix the shifting systems?

Thanks for any input.
"Whether you think you can or  think you can't ....
your right"
Henry Ford

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: 4x4 manual lock, 129 or 229
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
Make sure the vacuum shift motor isn't seized BEFORE you put it all back together! I have the hoses off so mine can't accidentally shift to 4x4 without the front driveshaft (until I swap in the matching front diff)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline macho_burrito

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:17:11 PM »
I locked mine into 4wd by removing the vacuum motor entirely and holding the t-case shift lever in position with a cable tensioner. I hooked the open end of the tensioner through the shift lever, and ran a 1/4 x 2 1/2 bolt with a self-locking nut through the closed end of the tensioner using the mounting hole from the vacuum motor as an anchor point. Then tighten the tensioner until the shift lever is locked in 4wd. I then used the hose clamp method on thefront axle disconect. Then I removed what was left of the vacuum harnesses andcapped the supply port off.  Not very easy to shift back to 2wd, but not a priority for me. I liked this method because of the complete indepencence from any vacuum supply for the 4wd to function

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 06:30:15 PM »
Did you already lock the front axle? That's where the biggest problem is.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk