News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 04:10:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dead Eagle  (Read 5303 times)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Dead Eagle
« on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »
Well I was at work and took the Eagle for a spin during a break and it died and would not start. Went out during lunch and got it to start for a second before dieing again. Fuel delivery/ maybe electrical if not a good spark.
Well during lunch went out to try and start it and the electrical literally died.. in the middle of cranking the motor I lost all electrical in the car. Lights went tout and key did nothing. Popped hood and wiggled wires no change. Called tow service and while on phone with them I notice the warning lights are lit but no dash lights or head lights.. I checked and I had them set to on.  Went to crank motor and the warning lights go off and it's dead again.. Getting a tow home after work at this point

Any suggestion on places to look? Fuse, Column key issue? This wasn't a battery going dead but an all out loss of electrical power.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
Re: Dead Eagle
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »
Mine did exactly that, and it was dead battery due to alternator dieing...happened all of a sudden...dont overlook the simple stuff :)
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:55:57 AM »
i had something like that happen on both Eagles. on Eagle Eyes it was a bad battery cable and on Survivor it was a bad solenoid.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:31:26 AM »
Battery charger says it's a bad battery. Question is for the difference in price would a series 78 battery fit? I'm at work again and didn't have a chance to check the space available if I ignore the battery pan.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »
Battery charger says it's a bad battery. Question is for the difference in price would a series 78 battery fit? I'm at work again and didn't have a chance to check the space available if I ignore the battery pan.

I've been trying to find a battery that matches specs for the factory Group 56 and havent found anything else thats 6 inches wide (thats the spec for a group 56).  If you find something else that fits the factory eagle tray, please post.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:10:25 AM »
Got my battery at autozone and it fit perfect in the tray. Reinstalled the battery hold down and bolt and was good to go. Battery has a red top and says duralast on it instead of being black but it did fit perfect.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
But here in Kansas is a series 56 going to hold to me adding more lights and a bigger stereo? I was just thinking since I'm missing the retaining bolt for the battery that I can Fab a new tray for a bigger battery and have the security of the additional AMPs.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
For future reference I saw a Group 56 battery in the Sears catalog in its "Plus Start" line. I've heard they discontinued that size in the DieHard line. I purchased my last Eagle battery at O'Reilly's for roughly $100 U.S.

This website http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html shows standard sizes...in millimeters and inches... for just about every 6- and 12-volt automotive battery that's ever been used in North America.

But here in Kansas is a series 56 going to hold to me adding more lights and a bigger stereo? I was just thinking since I'm missing the retaining bolt for the battery that I can Fab a new tray for a bigger battery and have the security of the additional AMPs.

The battery's primary job is to start the engine...in any weather that you would expect to encounter where you live. For this purpose you need Cold Cranking Amps...CCA...and the more the better. CCAs are a function of the battery's internal construction. Kansas winters can be brutal, so one would look for a battery in the size needed that has the most CCAs.

For more lights and big stereos you need a bigger alternator. I believe the standard Eagle alternator is a 55-amp. It's questionable if that's enough for lots of lights and a big stereo. The Eagle alternator is a GM unit, and there are bigger such alternators from GM that will easily fit in the Eagle mounts. There are also other options, some of which need only one wire. You need an alternator with an internal regulator as the original Eagle setup did not regulate the voltage through the onboard computer. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 01:12:51 PM »
Glad to have that information about the Alternator because that may be the next change after a battery. I'm looking at getting a series 78 I believe.. It's bigger by a bit but I can get over 700 CCA and it's about same price as a 56 series.

So if this battery is junk I'll get the bigger battery if it fits in the space and look at getting a stronger Alternator when the time comes..

Nice to have that Alternator information though..
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »
The Group 78...at 7-1/16 inches wide...will not clamp down in the original Eagle battery tray. However, it's a popular size and if you can fabricate a new tray or hold-down it will solve the availability problem of a Group 56 in the future.

If you go this route, please post pictures and a description of how you did it. :eagle:
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »
Will do I think it'd be a very worthwhile upgrade for many. :blob1:

Just figured I'd mention here that the 34/78 is wildly available but may be over kill but lots of amps. Early Cherokee's and such had those batteries.. Trying to locate a tray in a yard and attach it to the eagle I think..
Parts store did a check and my old battery says good. Moving on to check ground and starter area.

But I will continue to look into the battery tray upgrade.
http://www.noco-usa.com/pdf/Noco-Catalog-Battery-Storage.pdf
They have some nice flat tray's that will hold the larger batteries..
I don't have 1 to look at to see how it connects and at work for another 30 min so not able to look at the tray of the eagle but will measure when home.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:36:20 PM by SpreadEagle »
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »
I don't think our Eagle single-belt setup will turn an alternator bigger than 85 amp unless yours is a serpentine setup. :eagle:

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
I don't think our Eagle single-belt setup will turn an alternator bigger than 85 amp unless yours is a serpentine setup. :eagle:

My 83 (v-belts) turns the 100amp Powermaster Alternator without issues.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 11:01:45 PM »
Just figured I'd mention that my Eagle's issue is probably not electrical at this point. I was looking at nodding a way to put a 34/78 battery into the engine bay. Only way to do that is to cut the radiator. Not going to happen from me. Take care all. I'll keep updating the project post. I ve been adding photos as I can.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk