News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 19, 2024, 02:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Amc Eagle Clutch Replacement  (Read 5637 times)

Offline zboot

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Amc Eagle Clutch Replacement
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to working on the Eagle drivetrain (aside from swapping half-shafts). I'm looking at potentially changing out the clutch on my 82 SX4 but wanted to try to find a write up or set of instructions so I know what to anticipate, tools to make sure I have on hand, and what to expect before I start. Plus I'd like to not spend several weekends on something that I could do over a good Saturday.

I've looked through the Transmission Shop but didn't really see any topics that quite had what I'm looking for, just bits and pieces. If someone knows of a post that goes through this or has done the process and is willing to sketch out an outline, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Amc Eagle Clutch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 02:41:29 PM »
Have you removed a transmission on another vehicle before? Except for the transfer case, it really isn't any different than most rear wheel drive cars.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »

Manitowoc WI

Offline zboot

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »
Have you removed a transmission on another vehicle before? Except for the transfer case, it really isn't any different than most rear wheel drive cars.

Yeah I have. I guess my concern was about the transfer case but reading that writeup on the auto to manual conversion, it seems the transfer case is supported by the transmission cross-member/engine.

So my basic procedure would be:

0. Block wheels, apply brakes, etc
1. Remove skid plates
2, Disconnect drive shafts from transfer case
2. Support transmission
3. Remove transmission cross member
4. Unbolt transfer case from transmission, set aside
5. Unbolt transmission from engine
6. Replace clutch
7. Reassemble in reverse order

Feels so much easier having that written out. Thanks.

A quick question, for the SX4, how critical is it having that crossmember securely bolted in. I've got pretty bad rust on my driver side (Frankly, I think it's pretty much the engine and skid plates that are really supporting the weight) and having issues finding a shop willing to repair the rust.

While I can likely take care of the clutch on my own (mainly need to acquire new tools out here in Boulder), I have little welding experience and it will be months before I've had time to save up to buy equipment then practice, not to mention finding a place to work on my car). Anyway, the question is, how much would I be risking if I did the clutch job myself and held off the repair on the frame rails until I could either find a shop willing to do it or develop enough skill to do it myself (3-4 months from now). Assuming that I did the clutch job, I'd be driving about 300 miles a month.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »
I would make "drain transfer case" #3. You don't have to remove the transfer case from the transmission, but it makes it a heck of a lot easier to remove and reinstall the transmission. I would also install new seals in the transfer case while it's out. I can't answer your rust issue, I don't have any experience with the stuff.

Offline zboot

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
I want to say thanks to everyone for your help here.

Unfortunately, my car is still immobile. I got everything off only to discover that the clutch kit I got was the wrong one, 14 teeth instead of 10.

Time to work on it is also pretty sparse so we'll see how things go once the holidays are over. At least now, I know what I'm doing, the best positions for reaching things, etc and can significantly reduce the time spent the next time I have to work on it.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »
That stinks. 14 spline is for the 4 cyl. and 10 spline for the 6 cyl.

Offline zboot

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 12:28:17 AM »
Interesting, my engine is a 4cyl. Perhaps the transmission has been swapped out at some point.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 01:06:40 AM »
Interesting, my engine is a 4cyl. Perhaps the transmission has been swapped out at some point.
Seems to be the case. If the input shaft is 1 1/8" diameter and 10 spline it's a 6 cyl. transmission.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 06:16:43 AM »
The 258 T5 and the 151 Iron Duke T5 is exactly the same. It is also exactly the same as the T4 and SR4.

That means it is supposed to be 10 spline. The clutch kit was wrong. Possibly the ultra-rare AMC 150 four cylinder Eagles in late '83 and '84 had 14 spline, but I'm not sure about that.

I took my 258 T5 and put it in my Iron Duke Kammback that originally had an SR4 transmission. The bellhousing is different, but the transmission itself is exactly the same. (The T5 had an overdrive bulge that the T4 and SR4 don't, but its a very minor difference). The clutch system is also exactly the same except for the rod pushed into the front of the slave cylinder. The Iron Duke slave is exactly the same as the 258 slave cylinder except that the pushrod is about an inch longer. I actually used my 258 clutch components and just swapped pushrods. The transmission mount is the same, but its rotated 180 degrees and sits in the front four holes in the transmission crossmember. A 258 mount sits in the rear four holes out of the six drilled into every crossmember. The shifter comes up an inch rearward and an inch to the passenger side in comparison between a 258 and a 151. AMC is awesome that way, everything is easily interchangeable.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:00:56 AM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »
The 258 T5 and the 151 Iron Duke T5 is exactly the same. It is also exactly the same as the T4 and SR4.

That means it is supposed to be 10 spline. The clutch kit was wrong. Possibly the ultra-rare AMC 150 four cylinder Eagles in late '83 and '84 had 14 spline, but I'm not sure about that.

I took my 258 T5 and put it in my Iron Duke Kammback that originally had an SR4 transmission. The bellhousing is different, but the transmission itself is exactly the same. (The T5 had an overdrive bulge that the T4 and SR4 don't, but its a very minor difference). The clutch system is also exactly the same except for the rod pushed into the front of the slave cylinder. The Iron Duke slave is exactly the same as the 258 slave cylinder except that the pushrod is about an inch longer. I actually used my 258 clutch components and just swapped pushrods. The transmission mount is the same, but its rotated 180 degrees and sits in the front four holes in the transmission crossmember. A 258 mount sits in the rear four holes out of the six drilled into every crossmember. The shifter comes up and inch rearward and an inch to the passenger side between a 258 and a 151. AMC is awesome that way, everything is easily interchangeable.
Thanks for clearing that up, I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk