News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 12:11:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear end acted up after manuallel putting car into 4 wheel drive.  (Read 22040 times)

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Today after getting my Eagle back from the shop to get its 4 wheel drive manually engaged. At first it was fine and did about 60 down the road but later tonight when I went to leave for college about after 15 minutes of driving and getting gas something went wrong with the rear end. It sounded almost as if the engine was over revving and there was a weird almost squick/scrapping sound almost as if something was not engaged all the way. The odd thing is that the sound was coming from the rear axle. When I tried to put it into gear a few times after shutting it off it still made the noise and when I put it into drive it would not move, even the front axle was not moving which I found odd as it should have been in 4 wheel drive. Was this just the 4 wheel drive messing up or is it something worse like my rear end.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Rear end acted up after manuallel putting car into 4 wheel drive.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
Maybe the dreaded Eagle right rear axle fracture??
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:45:18 PM »
It sounds like it popped out of 4wd and is between 2 and 4wd.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:50:15 PM »
It sounds like it popped out of 4wd and is between 2 and 4wd.

Thanks that is what I am hoping it is. Hopefully not the axle fracture thing. What is the best way to put it into 4 wheel drive manual that is guaranteed to stay that way, is there a way to make it permanent. Will running it to long this way cause damage cause my dad did listened to it for a few minutes while he told me to add some gas while in drive. Also why would the noise be coming from the rear axle and not the front.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:15:29 PM »
If it's 1/2 way, hopefully you didn't wipe out the viscous coupler.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 11:23:44 PM »
If it's 1/2 way, hopefully you didn't wipe out the viscous coupler.

what would happen if I did wipe out the viscous coupler?

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »
Also just wondering but what would happen if I replaced my Transfer case with a 119 which only has 4 wheel drive? Can it be done on a 1984 Eagle.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:56:17 PM »
It wouldn't go anywhere and yes, a NP119 will fit as long as the front axle didn't disengage you'd be okay.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 12:02:08 AM »
It wouldn't go anywhere and yes, a NP119 will fit as long as the front axle didn't disengage you'd be okay.

Thanks, how would I engage the front axle. Is it a hard or expansive thing to engage the front axle and install the 119? It seems with the 4 wheel drive system that would be the easiest compared to switching it into 4 wheel drive manually and hoping it stays there. How would you permanently switch a 1984 Eagle into 4 wheel drive? Permanently. And engage/lock the front axle on a 1984?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:35:12 AM by Eagle1984 »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:09:33 AM »
If the tcase was put into 4x4 and teh front axle wasn't. the tcase is likely dead. The viscous coupler needs BOTH axles engaged to work properly or it slips till it self destructs!

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 01:28:43 AM »
If the tcase was put into 4x4 and teh front axle wasn't. the tcase is likely dead. The viscous coupler needs BOTH axles engaged to work properly or it slips till it self destructs!

Would the car still drive fine until it self destructs, because it seemed to run fine until this happened. Do all model year eagles require that or did they ever change it? When the T-case is manually changed to 4 wheel drive is the Front axle locked automatically?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:32:11 AM by Eagle1984 »

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 01:31:05 AM »
I will have to ask my mechanic to see what he did, supposedly he has done this before. He said when I picked it up that he checked and the front tires were defiantly gripping as he put it(tried it out on some gravel) and I did noticed a difference in the way it felt and handled.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:36:44 AM by Eagle1984 »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 10:40:27 AM »
If the front axle is vacuum, sometimes they don't stay engaged (almost all '82 to '86s with NP129. NP128s went back to non-vac for '86 then NP129 came back till the end of production)

Offline Eagle1984

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »
If the front axle is vacuum, sometimes they don't stay engaged (almost all '82 to '86s with NP129. NP128s went back to non-vac for '86 then NP129 came back till the end of production)

Thanks, that is probably what it did. Is there a guraunteed way to keep the front axle engaged. My mechanic did mention the houses going to the front axle.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:41:51 PM »
Look in the eaglepedia.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk