News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:01:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Automatic Transmission -Car won't move  (Read 16161 times)

Offline m311sublim2001

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Eagle Automatic Transmission -Car won't move
« on: June 16, 2010, 01:28:39 AM »
I have a question about my 83' Eagle.  I have skimmed threw most of this board and havn't seen anything describing it but if there is a post please just refer me and i'll be happy to read up.  I traded an old shotgun for a pair of eagles, i have an 83 "barebones" modle and an 84 with all the trimming.  Both are automatics.  I have the 83 running after a carb rebuild, some good gas and a new batt.  I put her in gear once she was warmed up and she seems to go into revers ok but nothing else, if i put her in drive i can see the engine jump as if she has shifted but i can rev as high as I want and she doesnt seem to even be trying to move.  I did notice alot of open and unhooked vaccum lines in the engine compartment as well as the fact I seem to have an older carborator.  My carb doesn't have the electric solinoid (which i dont knwo what does i'll admite) and someone has cut the solid throttle link and welded it the other way round so it will fit this new carb.  I do have the original one (also in need of a rebuild) but the engine seems to run great with the new one.  Is there something with teh vaccum lines not being hooked up where could cause the car not to go in gear or am I just looking at a rebuild/replace situation?  Hope all is well, thank you.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:41:17 AM by IowaEagle »
1982 AMC Eagle Wagon (not with us anymore)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon (current project)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon (Next project)

1964 Olds Starfire
1979 Chevy K5 (1ton conversion)
1984 Chevy C30 Dually Crewcab

1964 Yamaha 100cc Enduro
1976 Honda GL1000 (another current project)

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: Eagle Automatic Transmission
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:03:59 AM »
my eagle did the samething and i had to rebuild it but before you do that you should check the fluid level after it gets good and hot if that ain't it remove the transmission oil pan and check the filter it could be clogged from sitting for so long. as for the vacuum lines i can't think of any that actually connect to the transmission it's self, the only ones i know of connect to the transfer case shifter.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Eagle Automatic Transmission -Car won't move
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 06:46:18 AM »
It appears you have several issues to sort out here.  First check to make sure the transfer case is fully engaged in 2WD or 4WD, to see if that is the problem.  A 9/16" wrench applied to the selector lever on the transfer case is all you need to check that.  I would put it in 2WD for testing purposes.  The lever is moved towards the rear to do that.  Make sure you have a functioning throttle rod from the carb to the trans.  If you don't, then don't drive it until that is repaired/replaced -- not fixing it will guarantee you needing a new transmission.  If you have a lot of disconnected missing vacuum lines then don't expect your car to run right and your transfer case to shift right.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »
well, there's the cars brandon has been trying to save :P
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:12:38 PM by thereverendbill »
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:12:16 PM »
well, looks like we know what happened to the cars brandon was hunting down for weeks :P

These two eagles are likely in the junk yard in Omaha.  They were up for barter for about a month.  I tried to buy them 5 separate times.  Was told they went to a 'yard last Tuesday :(
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
last time he was active was the day after he posted this topic.  Makes you wonder what the status of the car is now.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 07:42:18 AM »
They are likely at U-PUll-It.  I tried to go buy them a number of times. 
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline MaskNMI

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 09:35:33 PM »
m311: hum, you got one heck of a deal....was an over/under at least?1?  lol

rule out the transfer case as IA says...it can make it feel like you have lost your tranny, no lie!

I also reiterate what he said about throttle rod, TorqueFlites have no vacuum modulator like Ford & GM trannies 3 spds, so you can rule out those disconnected lines, but they depend on the throttle lever for proper line pressure, NOT just kickdown...

if it's poorly functioning, you are good at basic fabrication, and you care more about functionality than originality, i HIGHLY recommend you go to a junkyard and get the TorqueFlite throttle *cable* setup off a second gen Ram or Ram Van et al...I am just getting this mod finished up on my Eagle...it will fit on your AMC TorqueFlite just like it fits on the Mopar one and it has a very standard carburetor end that works with my Edelbrock 4V for example...I figured this out recently, and am still fine tuning the bracket at the carburetor on mine, but it's an easy mod, worth the 10 bucks it cost me so far....

onto the tranny, first thing you need to do is inspect the fluid that was in it....I recommend just getting a tranny filter kit and draining the tranny, any car that has been sitting surely needs it, and replace the fluid that comes out when you take the pan off...if it is real bad you should drain the torque converter, too....some TC's have plugs ,some have to be removed to be drained...cant remember for the A998, someone chime in?!?...

anyway if you're not familiar with automatic transmissions the fluid should be RED not brown, and should not have a burnt odor, but an almost sweet one, and it should not have an undue amount of metallic particles foating around in it

.....if you have an inch - lb torque wrench that does like 30-100 in-lb range, this is a good time to adjust your bands....the procedure is simple, but demands precision on your part....if not, new filter, new fluid filled to proper level, see where your at before you take it into a tranny shop to get the bands adjusted & the line pressure tested.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
No to the t/c drain

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk