News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 10:16:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: custom L.E.D tail lights  (Read 21924 times)

Offline Eagle1

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
custom L.E.D tail lights
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »
i was just wondering if any1 would be interested in custom made led brake lights and possibly turn signals. can even make them display logos and text. am currently in the process of making some for my eagle wagon when they are complete i will post pics. i think i will b able to make them for cheaper than u can buy them for most vehicles. probably about half the cost of ordering them from a catalog r online store. :o

Offline maholttn

• 1980 Eagle sedan 2dr
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: custom L.E.D tail lights
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »
I would be very interested in seeing some pictures once you have completed the first set.
1980 AMC Eagle 2 dr
1988 Jeep YJ Wrangler
1987 Monte Carlo SS
2009 Chevy Silverado
1988 Cadillac Fleetwood
1992 Chevy S10
2007 Toyota Camry

I have a few photos at:
http://photobucket.com/maholttn

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
maybe get with Mavericke too.  I think he was working on some kind of wholesale deal.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:58:12 PM »
I think it would be awesome if you did flat red side marker. for the sx/4 that has the amc emblem behind the lense in leds.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline Eagle1

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »
OK guys here it goes, im ordering some tail lights to convert. my friend who has a double degree in electronics is helping me with this project. we r going to etch r own boards and everything. so we r building this from the ground up. as soon as we receive the rest of the parts needed, we will begin assembling it. so as soon as completed we will post picks and a video of how it looks and works. please feel free to give any input u may hav for designs or other possible lights we could change to L.E.D. i was thinking if the brake lights spelling AMC r something around those lines. but first we r going to make just some really bright tail lights. thank you for any input and  your time

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »
OK guys here it goes, im ordering some tail lights to convert. my friend who has a double degree in electronics is helping me with this project. we r going to etch r own boards and everything. so we r building this from the ground up. as soon as we receive the rest of the parts needed, we will begin assembling it. so as soon as completed we will post picks and a video of how it looks and works. please feel free to give any input u may hav for designs or other possible lights we could change to L.E.D. i was thinking if the brake lights spelling AMC r something around those lines. but first we r going to make just some really bright tail lights. thank you for any input and  your time

I think going that far would be cool, but illegal in wv.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »
As mentioned, the round rear marker lights for SX/4's, Kammbacks and Spirits would be really nice.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Eagle1

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 10:16:24 PM »
i would love to try the side marked idea but will need a side marker to mock something up. so if any1 has a spare they can donate to the cause or want to sell so i can try to make it plz let me know.

Offline maholttn

• 1980 Eagle sedan 2dr
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:30:05 AM »

I think going that far would be cool, but illegal in wv.

Ericarmstrong, do you mean L.E.D. lights are illegal in WV?
1980 AMC Eagle 2 dr
1988 Jeep YJ Wrangler
1987 Monte Carlo SS
2009 Chevy Silverado
1988 Cadillac Fleetwood
1992 Chevy S10
2007 Toyota Camry

I have a few photos at:
http://photobucket.com/maholttn

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 12:51:20 AM »
I think he meant the tail lights spelling out AMC was Illegal.

By the way, I love the Idea and would most definitely, depending on the cost and how well off I am when completed. I'd also be very interested in some SX/4 LED tail lights. back up lights and all.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 04:01:07 AM »
Yeah the spelling would be a pull me over flag, but as far as led lights I would like to see the whole car done except the headligts.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 06:29:56 AM »
I have a side marker I could loan you.  I forget which side it is for.  AMC put their logo on them, so they became side specific.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline WolfMan

• WolfMan
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Hey all, I am Eagle1's partner in crime, and electrical design guy! I have been looking at all the postings and very surprised at the response. First, I would like to say, great site. Second I would have to say that the production of a Red LED tail light model are in the works I will actually be uploading images of the 3D board layout once I have it into the PCB CAD program.

The LED's themselves will be High power LED's that consume about 150mA which a normal LED is 25mA. The LED I have picked for this application will also have a viewing angle of about 170 degrees. I have already tested the circuit virtually and it will  only consume a maximum of about 5 amps depending on the amount of LED's used at this point it was 4.55A for 30 LED's

The goal with this project is to create an LED circuit that can be placed into the existing assemblies and leaving the outside looking stock as well as making it plug and play with no modifications or cutting. Having Eagle1 on my side we are utilizing his Eagle as the test subject.

If anyone can provide dimensions (or pictures!) of the inside assemblies for different or various light assemblies and models this will aid in creating of the board (Please dimensions in Metric) as the only aspect missing is the ability to have dimensions for the board and test fit into assemblies.

Dimensions of the inner assemblies (and Pictures!) are needed for each light assembly. (Please dimensions in Metric)

BTW when we say tail lights I am talking the whole assembly Reverse lights and all, because the way they are built seems to be that that is how they will have to be modified.

Reverse lights are going to blind the people behind you, I have found some massively high power LED's that will blow any incandescent bulb away.

Me an Eagle1 are working hard and actually are very excited about this and will be providing pictures and updates as soon as we are able.

;D ;D
-WolfMan
"Bringing the electricity back into the electrical world!"

The Big Red Moose: (Gotta love kids naming your truck)
-78 Chevy Scottsdale K20: Dana 44 front and GM 14 bolt back/Crate GM 350/Edelbrock Performer intake and carb/Flow Tech Headers and much more...

-WolfMan

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »
Do you need tail light assemblies as I have a spare set. depending on where you are there may be members close to you as they are not rare. No metal to rust. They will be cheaper to ship if they are closer to you.

Offline WolfMan

• WolfMan
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »
Definitely, we actually need mainly the tail light assemblies, or the side marker lights. Basically whatever everyone is interested in. Personally I really am excited about the tail lights, as the reverse lights and turn signals are going to be fun!
"Bringing the electricity back into the electrical world!"

The Big Red Moose: (Gotta love kids naming your truck)
-78 Chevy Scottsdale K20: Dana 44 front and GM 14 bolt back/Crate GM 350/Edelbrock Performer intake and carb/Flow Tech Headers and much more...

-WolfMan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk