News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transmission rebuild  (Read 55869 times)

Alcology

Re: Transmission rebuild, with pics!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 05:35:13 PM »
Still coming whuntmore.  That's a part 1.  I didn't take any pics to get the transmission off the car sadly.  I have ~50 pics that I'm including in the rebuild of the transmission itself.  I'm going to finish it this week.  I just wanted to put something up here to give people something and to motivate myself to finish.  I found the manual to be good, but it was still lacking some things so hopefully my pics can help fill in the gaps. 

Alcology

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »
Bad news.  My computer's hard drive where I had been keeping all the pics died.  I'm going to try to resuscitate it but I don't have high hopes.  I should not have procrastinated on this.  Lesson learned I guess. 

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
That sucks!  Hopefully you can recover your pics.  good luck!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
A lesson we all need to heed.  I hope you can rescue them too.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 09:29:23 PM »
Best advice I ever heard for data backup

I've heard people say if it isn't in three places, it doesn't exist. I've lost a number of drives over the years, so I tend to agree... not that I'm as diligent as I should be either.  ::)
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline MaskNMI

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 06:46:21 PM »
hey, maybe this is a stupid question, but I've searched this whole thread....

what kind of tranny are we talking about here?? manual? auto?

anyway I'm excited to see your pics, esp if it's an automatic

I have done a Ford 3sp automatic from ground up before, I am not an expert tranny builder, but I've done it, and done lots of simpler automatic tranny work......happy to share experiences

I can make a couple suggestions:

A Tranny stand that you can bolt the bellhousing/case to and maybe rotate back and forth (or an engine stand adapted to do the job, but you need to be able to slide things in and out the bore of the case) is VERY helpful....maybe local tranny shop has a spare they sell you cheap, or they can direct you to the area tranny parts supplier if you don't know it already...you won't be sorry if you get one, even if it's a fixed stand bolted to a bench.....make your job a LOT easier

a high-quality tool to replace the bronze bearings is a MUST, you NEED a bearing press for this if you don't want to ruin your brand new bearings....bronze is much softer than steel, remember that, or you learn the hard way like me ;D

other than that, keep track of the multitude of parts in the drums by having  them laid out in order and separated by gearset, and oh yeah, you already know you need some snap-ring pliers baby!

HAVE FUN ;D

Alcology

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »
It's an auto Mask.  I did the rebuild last late winter/early spring.  I only had a small space on a folding table in the small basement of the apartment I had been renting at the time.  The detente ball at one point flew off and landed in a broken area of the concrete floor!  I started laughing it was so absurd, because at first I had no idea where it went.  I tried to keep everything organized by piece like you said and that really helped. 

Offline MaskNMI

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 03:49:27 AM »
alco: d'oh! I REALLY need to stop skimming threads quickly, I noticed when I opened it up this time you said 998 (don't ask me how I missed that....) in the first post and that this thread is old like you say....

so cool, that's even better now I can ask you questions; so you didn't use a stand, (i didn't either, lol, that's how I knew I wish I had one ;D) but how did you do with the bushings?

did you already have a press? make your own?? buy one?!? expensive?!?!?

hehe, I think I remember chasing a couple parts that shot out, too heheh

sorry again, I confuse myself cause I read too fast and then I see the date on the most recent posts and I stupidly assume the whole thread is similar age

hey, LOVE to see those pics though, like I said I've done a Ford, really like to see the differences in case I end up needing to 'haul her in the future!

Alcology

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »
No prob Mask!  So for the bushings, I don't have a press and I didn't feel like doing them if I didn't have to.  I used feeler gauges to check the tolerances and see if they specced up.  Everything checked out so I left them alone.  Maybe it will bite me in the butt in the future, but that's why I recently picked up a T4.   ::)

Offline MaskNMI

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 11:45:34 PM »
ha, gotcha, hey in spec is in-spec!

I thought about that after I had destroyed the old ones getting them out ("did I really *need* to do that?!?") heh

Alcology

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 12:57:28 AM »
Yeah!  That's one of those things when you get into it you just keep going.  I did that with the valve body.  Bad idea.  Took forever to get the springs back in place. 

Alcology

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »
Got my pics back.  I'm going to get to work in the next weeks to write this up.

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »
I have a question:when the rebuilt tranny goes in,how much fluid should be in the case/converter,do you have to "prime it" with a few quarts?then add the rest as it idles? I realize the indicator tube won't be added till its going in,any thought would be appreciated.
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »
I layed my converter flat and added a quart , then tipped it up vertical, and checked it.You really don't want to add more than would run out when tipped back vertical or you will have a mess on your hands when you try and put it back in.As far as the tranny itself , I had the pan installed before I put the tranny in , installed the tranny,and then filled it to the recommended capacity before starting , let it warm up, run it through the gears ( but not driveing it ) recheck the fluid level , add as needed.

Alcology

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 02:36:07 PM »
I put it back in empty, filled slightly less than recommended and started the car and put it through the gears like gopac.  I checked the level and then filled to capacity. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk