News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:30:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: Jeep Family Tree  (Read 53972 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Jeep Family Tree
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:55:44 AM »
Here is the Jeep Family Tree I did up.  It seems some models might be missing.  When done I will host it as pdf file to compliment our AMC Eagle Family Tree --- since they are related.

Pasted below is some of the other replies related to this topic:

Very cool.  Nice job.  Now we just have to check to see if we are missing anything.  Should we include the Jeep side of things?

from 83 Eagle:  Should I go ahead and try to trace the Jeep models?  If I have time??

from route 66 rambler:    I would say go ahead and do it.  If it doesn't get used by myself or Iowa Eagle, then maybe a Jeep site would be able to, or if you want to start a Jeep place, I was planning on offering some of my available sub-domains as free pages to members here and elsewhere for AMC-related sites.
mike

form IowaEagle:  That would be great.  There are a lot of Jeep models to research and I am wondering for a family tree for them if you don't need to do back to the Bantam days or even way back to the Quad 4 days.

from route 66 rambler:    I think the Bantam would do it, as that's where the original GP platform originated.  It's sort of like your own "Hornet or American?"  question.  The Jeep deal wouldn't be quite as complicated as AMC or Rambler.  For the most part, it's  like GP, split from there into Wag/pickup/Jeepster and CJ/M38,  then it's all fairly straight line compared to car companies, with a few trunks off for the forward control cab, the larger trucks like the M37, etc.  Was the Might Mite a Jeep or AMC?  I think that was prior to the takeover  salvation of Jeep in 1970. /;]
mike

from IowaEagle:  Its a good starting point -- although I think AMC carried over the basic line after purchase.  Refinement came later, although, I think, AMC power came almost immediately for several models.

I have not gotten them all over here yet, but I will.  Have to go mow lawn and other silly things.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 01:17:21 PM by IowaEagle »
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
Re: AMC Eagle Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:55:51 PM »
Did I send you the one with the descriptions as well?  It has a few sentences about each vehicle on the Jeep tree. 
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 09:17:20 PM »
No, just the one with pictures, model names and some arrows and lines.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »
If you, or anyone is interested in seeing the one with the descriptions.  I can email it.  Just let me know.  Thanks.  I am glad that it will work for a quick history lesson.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• American Muscle Conspiracy #000001
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
  • Time Travel in the Sonoran Desert
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 03:30:16 AM »
 Sorry, I don't have a lot of time at the moment, family, Molly, Ramblers, and website are pulling different directions.  What I did, since I was already on my site at the time I read the post above, was open it in OpenOffice and save it as an HTML real quick-like.  It's now on the new "timeline" subdomain of route66rambler.com, at least for a while.  It still needs a little cleanup to display properly, but the main effect is still there.  Here is where I have it as a Web page:

http://www.timeline.route66rambler.com/FamilyTree/JEEP/JeepFamilyTree.html

I should have a little time on Sunday or Monday to edit it into clickable thumbnails to the larger pictures... right now, because of the file sizes of the pics, it takes a little while to load, but I'll see what I can do with it after Saturday is over.  Great job, Brandon.
mike
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 01:22:22 PM by Route 66 Rambler »
Nashin' and Thrashin'
1966 Rambler American 343 Convertible
1981 Eagle Kammback- Kactus Kammster

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Re: Jeep Family Tree
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 12:27:45 PM »
I am wondering since later Cherokee's 1984? and beyond were uni-bodied should they be a distinct new model line?

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 01:31:33 PM »
I would say no since the body lines are allmost identical to the older one.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 02:10:56 PM »
Thank you for formatting that to be able to be posted.  I did not want all the work that I put into it to go to waste because the computer I used did not have a way to format the document to be posted. 

I have one with all of the descriptions of the different models that I can email to anyone who might be interested.  I stopped this Jeep Tree with the last three AMC Models...  Cherokee, J20 and Wrangler.  I am sure we could expand it to today if there is an interest. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 02:15:35 PM »
Model info might be interesting.  Go ahead and send it to me.  Did you see any mistakes?  Will let a few others chime in and then I will start work on a pdf version which will allow for better pictures and text.  It did not take long to do it after I got the pictures saved.  It was a pretty straight forward progression of models.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 02:21:53 PM »
The Wrangler was actually derived from the CJ-7 not the CJ-8.  The CJ-8 was a spinoff of the CJ-7, because it was a pickup version as was the CJ-10.  Also the Wagoneer and Comanche were all based on the 1984 Cherokee, so they should all be on the same level.  The last four models from AMC were the Cherokee, Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer, Wrangler and the J20.  I guess I did not make that clear enough in my tree that I sent you.  Sorry. 

I will send Iowa Eagle the Tree with Descriptions when I get back from U-Pull-It. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 04:11:18 PM »
Thanks.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Gil-SX4

• Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 01:27:58 AM »
Wasent there something call a Comando base on the C104
Wants You.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 08:34:57 AM »
I wonder where the FC's and postal Jeeps fit into this?  And the 3/4 ton military trucks made by AMC Jeep?  And, of course the Humvee.  I know it was AMG but it used Jeep and some Eagle technology and the final AMC prototype was finished off by Roy Lunn who was asked to come out of retirement to fix the issues the Army had with it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 09:12:13 AM by IowaEagle »

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 09:26:10 AM »
I did a little looking and it appears the FC Jeep may be a line of its own.  It was designed shortly after Kaiser bought Willys Overland and started the new Willys company to produce Jeeps.  And, it appears the postal vehicles were, at least, originally FC's.  There were a lot of variations of this unique Jeep, despite fairly low production numbers, here is a website with a ton of pictures showing different uses http://www.newcotech.com/fcjeep/ .   While researching I did find a reference to thoughts of making the FC into a 4WD passenger van -- way back in the mid 1950's!  Apparently only a clay model was made.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 01:19:37 PM »
I renewed the image in the first post.  I spotted at least one goof in the time line where the Wrangler year text is next to the CJ10 info.  Will fix before I do a pdf.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 05:37:21 PM »
It looks good.  Thank you for helping me with that.  According to all of teh Jeep sites that I could find the C101 and C104 were the Jeepsters.  Also as near as I could tell we coould probably do an off-shoot of the CJ series starting in 1965 for the DJ Jeeps "Dispatch Jeeps"  These were made in the two wheel drive platform from 1965 to 1984 virtually unchanged.  I could not find a relaiable history on these vehicles. 

The ones included on the Iowa Eagle post came from wikipedia.com and a Jeep history website that I found. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 07:28:51 PM »
I was thinking the DJ's might have co-evolved with the FC's.  They both came out in '56 and the DJ's were more like a forward control vehicle than anything else

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 09:38:08 PM »
I completely forgot about the FCs, which is weird, because I looked at one on Ebay and another for sale here locally not too long ago.  oops.  We will have to add those, and the postal Jeeps (DJs) and the postal vans as well. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 09:40:07 PM »
I see you put the FC's in thank you. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Pack Rat

• Thumbs Up 152
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 09:43:45 PM »
Just looking over the family tree and you're missing the Willys Jeep Utility line- the Station Wagon and Pickup. These would be the fore runners of the Cherokee, Wagneer and Gladiator. The FC 150 and 170 was a Jeep all on it's own.  Other than sharing the same frame as, I believe the CJ-6, it basically has no forefathers and no descendents. DJ's were two wheel drive. I have an original Jeep ID poster, I'll see if I can get a good picture of it if you want.

Offline Gil-SX4

• Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 10:34:31 PM »
Witch one was that Jeep truck with the under the cab engine?
Wants You.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law

Offline Pack Rat

• Thumbs Up 152
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 11:05:54 PM »
That was the FC 150 and 170.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 01:26:26 AM »
Rat Pack could you try to get a good picture of that poster for us?  I am sorry I overlooked a few models.  Other than the dispatcher ones mentioned.  I could not find any information on the others.  I also could not find a difinitive list of the dispatcher models to include. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Pack Rat

• Thumbs Up 152
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 08:31:35 AM »
Sure can. If you or anybody else wants one of their own I can put you in touch with a friend of mine in Knoxville that had repo's of them printed. Can't remember what he charges for them, I think it's under $10 plus shipping. I can find out for sure.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 09:32:37 AM »
The FC's are mentioned and have one picture -- could use a better one though.  There was just not enough room to show all the variations but it is something to think about.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Pack Rat

• Thumbs Up 152
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 07:30:07 PM »
Definately not the best pictures. It's a whole lot better in real life.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 07:59:03 PM »
I like that format.   Maybe we need to do something like that.  For Eagles and Jeeps.   Thanks a whole bunch for that Pack Rat!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 11:50:53 PM »
Thank you Pack Rat.  I think that type of format would be really cool.  I am sorry that the one that I put together was not complete.  Thank you for formating it Doug.  I will try to update it as soon as I have time.  I know I need to add those trucks and the dispatch Jeeps (postal).  Thanks. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Pack Rat

• Thumbs Up 152
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 12:19:51 AM »
Don't feel bad, the one on the Jeep Corporate website has mistakes. Of all people they should know their own heritage.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 06:02:57 PM »
Thanks for looking -- that would be helpful.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 09:19:49 PM »
I am a perfectionist.  I do not like making mistakes. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 11:51:30 PM »
 That's the good thing about other people's fresh eyes.  Sometimes I check something over and over, then post it.  The next day there's typos and spelling mistakes all through it.  You'll see me edit my posts pretty often when I'm reading through an old thread and want to get rid of a few extra letters or whatever.
mike
Nashin' and Thrashin'

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2006, 12:33:22 PM »
I think I found an extensive list of all of the Jeep models 1940 to 2004.  Please look it over and let me know. 

Historical Jeep models:

1940 Bantam Pilot- Prototype
1940 Bantam BRC-60- Prototype
1940 Willys Quad- Prototype
1940 Ford Pygmy- Prototype
1940 Budd Ford- Prototype
1941 Ford GP
1941 Willys MA
1941 Bantam BRC-40
1942 Willys MB (slat grille)
1942-1945 Willys MB (stamped grille)
1942-1945 Ford GPW
1942-1943 Ford GPA
1944 Willys MLW-1- Prototype (Never Finished)
1944 Willys MLW-2- Prototype
1944 Agrijeep CJ-1
1944-1945 CJ-2
1945-1949 CJ-2A
1946-1965 Willys Jeep Wagon
1947-1965 Willys Jeep Truck
1948-1950 VJ — Willys Jeepster
1949-1953 CJ-3A
1950 CJ-V35
1950-1955 M-38 (MC)
1950 X-98- Prototype
1950 CJ-4- Prototype
1950 CJ-4M- Prototype
1950 CJ-4MA- Prototypes
1952-1971 M38A1 (MD)
1952-1971 M38A1C
1952-1971 M38A1D
1953-1968 CJ-3B
1953 BC Bobcat- Prototype
1954-1983 CJ-5
1961-1963 Tuxedo Park Mark III
1969 Camper
1969 462
1970 Renegade I
1971 Renegade II
1972-1983 Renegade Models
1973 Super Jeep
1977-1983 Golden Eagle
1954-1964 M170
1955 USAF DJ
1955-1975 CJ-6
1955-1964 DJ-3A
Surrey Gala Package
1955-1968 CJ-3B Long- Spain
1956-1965 Jeep Forward Control
FC-150
FC-160- Spain
FC-170
M676
M677
M678
M679
1959-1962 M422 Mighty Mite
1959-1962 M422A1
1959-1978 M151 MUTT
M151A1
M151A1C
M151A2
M718 Ambulance
M718A1 Ambulance
M825
1960-1968 Jeep M606
1960-1977 Jeep Rural- Brazil
1961-1975 Fleetvan
FJ-3
FJ-3A
FJ-6
FJ-6A
FJ-8
FJ-9
1963-1983 SJ Wagoneer
1963-1986 J-Series
Jeep Gladiator
Jeep Honcho
1964-1967 CJ-5A/CJ-6A Tuxedo Park
1965-1975 DJ-5
1965-1973 DJ-6
1966-1969 SJ Super Wagoneer
1966-1971 C101- Jeepster Commando
1972-1973 C104— Jeep Commando
1974-1983 SJ Cherokee
S
Limited
Classic
Chief
Sport
Pioneer
Laredo
1967-1975 DJ-5A
1970-1972 DJ-5B
1973-1974 DJ-5C
1975-1976 DJ-5D
1976 DJ- 5E Electruck
1976-1986 CJ-7
1982 — Jamboree Limited Edition (2500 exemplar)
1977-1978 DJ-5F
1979 DJ-5G
1981-1985 CJ-8 Scrambler
1981-1985 CJ-10
1982 DJ- 5L
1984-1991 SJ Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1991 Final Edition
1984-2001 XJ Cherokee
1984-2001 — Base "SE"
1984-1988 — Chief
1984-1990 — Pioneer
1985-1992 — Laredo
1987-1992/1998-2001 — Limited
1988-2001 — Sport
1991-1992 — Briarwood
1993-1997 — Country
1996-2001 — Classic
1984-1990 XJ Wagoneer
1984-1985 — Broughwood
1984-1990 — Limited
1986-1992 MJ Comanche
1986 — Custom
1986 — X
1986 — XLS
1987-1992 — Base "SE"
1987-1990 — Chief
1987-1992 — Laredo
1987-1990 — Pioneer
1987-1992 — SporTruck
1987-1992 — Eliminator
1987-1995 Wrangler YJ
1991-1993 Renegade
1988-1995 Wrangler Long- Venezuela
1993-1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee
1993–1995 – Base "SE"
1993–1998 – Laredo
1993–1998 – Limited
1995–1997 – Orvis "Limited Edition"
1997–1998 – TSi
1998 - 5.9 Limited
1993 ZJ Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1997-2006 Wrangler TJ
2002 TJ Long
2003 TJ Rubicon
2004 TJ Unlimited
2004 — Columbia Edition
1999-2004 WJ Grand Cherokee
2002–2003 — Sport
2002–2004 — Special edition
2002–2004 — Overland
2004 — Columbia Edition

Present Models
The Jeep brand currently produces six models:

Jeep Wrangler
JK — The current version of the Wrangler, released as a 2007 model.
JKL — The long wheelbase, 4-door version of the 2007 Wrangler.
Jeep Grand Cherokee — Large family-oriented SUV.
WK — The newest Grand Cherokee, 2005-present ("WK" is the designator for the new Grand Cherokee, it is one of the few non-J-designated Jeeps).
2005–present – Laredo
2005–present – Limited
2006–present – Overland
2006–present – SRT-8
Jeep Liberty — KJ — A small SUV (replaced the Cherokee and kept the name outside North America).
Jeep Commander — XK — Newest model in the Jeep line, it is a seven passenger SUV.
Jeep Compass — A small crossover SUV based on the Dodge Caliber.
Jeep Patriot — A small crossover SUV based on the Dodge Caliber, slated to begin production for 2007 model year.

This is all from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2006, 12:52:51 PM »
In the late 70's to early 80's time period, every model of Jeep was available as a Laredo.  The primary defining element of the Laredo package at first was a chrome grille.

At first only the CJ was available with the Golden Eagle option, but like the next year that package expanded to the pickup and Cherokee.  I only know about this thing because I was working at a Jeep dealer at the time, when I was a teenager.
mike
Nashin' and Thrashin'

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2006, 08:30:22 AM »
Other than that.  Is the list pretty complete?

IF it is I might start working on updating my Jeep Tree. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2006, 05:39:14 PM »
Actually it looks pretty good to me.  I was just dropping my usual 2.98.5 cents worth :)
mike
Nashin' and Thrashin'

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 08:44:15 PM »
Cool.  Well one of these nights that I can't sleep I will work on updating the Jeep Tree. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 08:51:08 AM »
I stumbled across this site.  Very well done.  Will allow for us to fix up the timeline.

http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/legends/heritage/index.html?bid=1758119&adid=40810289&pid=12206060

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Pack Rat

• Thumbs Up 152
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 09:53:53 AM »
Wow, they finally updated that web site  :o. We've been after them for years to update the Jeepster info. Course they still haven't got a picture of a 72 or 73 on there  ::).

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 09:59:21 AM »
I have not spent a lot of time there yet.  I like most of what they did and like how they relate other jeep models to the one you are looking at.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 08:49:18 PM »
That is pretty cool.  Is it complete by our standards though??

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 09:53:44 PM »
I have not spent much time with it yet.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Thomas

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2007, 09:56:46 PM »
If one wanted to argue  ::)  then one could trace the suv craze all the way back to 1946 with the all steel 4x4 wagon from willy's.   ;D   You could trace all jeep wagons since from that model. ::)

I would disagree with your arrows regarding the big cherokee and the smaller cherokee xj.  ;)  The use of unibody construction in a four by four was so significant and radical departure from previous jeep models that I would trace the xj from AMC's Eagle car model.   :) ;D  The eagle proved that a unibody four by four would work and hold up.  :o  Even though the eagle models were designed so that AMC could still make cars yet meet federal emission standards by having the cars labeled differently because of the inclusion of the 4wd. ::)

Jeep very definetly got the idea of a unibody 4x4 from AMC!  ;D

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2007, 10:04:51 PM »
You are correct Thomas.  The XJ should not have that arrow coming off of the big Cherokee Chief.   Sticking the AMC Eagle in as the "test bed" for the XJ's would drive some Jeep people crazy.  That means I will have to do that.  I wonder if we need to start out with the Jeffrey/Nash Quads and FWD trucks as some very early predecessors?

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2007, 10:33:06 PM »
If you wanted to, you could also go back past the Willys wagon, to the Chevy Suburban of 1935, of which several hundred had four-wheel-drive.  And don't forget the Dodge Power Wagon panel delivery from around 37-39...

Generally the FWD is considered the beginning of commercially viable four wheel drive in the US.   The story on the Quad truck is that Jeffery sent engineers up to buy an FWD for study, then after looking at it, just sold it and told their engineers to start from scratch.  The result was the Jeffery Quad-  "The truck that Drives, Steers and Brakes on all four wheels!"
mike

Nashin' and Thrashin'

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2007, 11:04:40 PM »
That 1915 Jeffery Truck looks like it would be a lot of fun to drive.  Are there any still around?

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2007, 01:29:35 AM »
There's also a good picture of a Quad in the Roy Lunn Collection CD here on the Nest, running in about 3 feet of mud with 2 tons of pig iron on back.

These things will show up at air shows, those shows for old tractors and engines, and the occasional four-by or other truck show.  There were lots and lots of them.  The Le Mans race track in France was using one up into the 70's...
mike
Nashin' and Thrashin'

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2007, 11:24:21 PM »
I am not sure why, but that is so cool.  I have a soft spot for the out of the ordinary cars (as long as they are not butt ugly like the Aztec).

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk