News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:53:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gauge package cross compatibility  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Knuckle0Head

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Gauge package cross compatibility
« on: December 26, 2022, 04:53:32 PM »
Are the gauge packages for automatic and manual cars cross compatible with each other? I have an automatic and I'd like to put a gauge package in, and I happened to find a very nice one that matches my interior for sale, however it's for a manual. It seems like the shifter cutout is bigger so I'm hoping it'd fit, but I don't want to do any cutting. I can live with a gap.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Gauge package cross compatibility
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 11:21:48 AM »
The spot where the shifter comes through is the only thing that is different between a manual and automatic gauge console.  I can take some pictures of the two for you but it probably won't be until tonight.  You can switch that portion between the two of them, I may have a spare automatic portion, let me look.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 11:22:39 AM by vangremlin »
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Knuckle0Head

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 12:55:35 AM »
The spot where the shifter comes through is the only thing that is different between a manual and automatic gauge console.  I can take some pictures of the two for you but it probably won't be until tonight.  You can switch that portion between the two of them, I may have a spare automatic portion, let me look.  Thanks!

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it. I haven't bought it yet since it was fairly expensive for what is just a cosmetic part, especially considering I still need to get my car running, and I don't want to waste money. Any info helps!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 11:39:31 PM »
Here are some pictures of the manual and automatic gauge clusters. The inside portions of the clusters are pretty modular so you can mix and match.

The first picture compares a total automatic pod versus the insert for a manual.

The second shows the back of the top of the auto pod. There are three points where the gauges attach to the interior portion insert, and there are two spots where the auto insert connects to the pod.

The bottom portion of the insert is the only thing different between the auto and the manual. The third and fourth pictures show how the bottom portion of the insert attaches to the top portion of the insert. They are kind of plastic rivets that you could drill out and replace with bolts.

So if you purchase the pod you are looking add, you could either swap out the entire insert, or just the bottom portion.

1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Knuckle0Head

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 05:23:52 PM »
So if you purchase the pod you are looking add, you could either swap out the entire insert, or just the bottom portion.
Sorry for the late response, family and engine problems had me busy and I kinda forgot about this post. I've already purchased the gauge package, was too good a deal to pass up. It's a darker blue than the pictures made it look, but it matches the ash tray at least. I just tried seating it in the car, and unfortunately the gear indicator doesn't fit in the cutout, so I'll need a new insert. Do you have one you're willing to part with?

Offline atmafox

• Mad Engineer
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 08:46:24 PM »
I have one for an automatic and plan to swap to a manual so I'd love to swap the insert with you.
Mine:
- 1980 AMC Eagle 2dr Sedan
- 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe

Ours:
- 1986 Toyota Pickup

Hers:
- 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
- 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac
- 1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr 4x4

His:
- 1985 Nissan 720 Pickup Deluxe King Cab 4x4

Offline Knuckle0Head

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 09:40:11 PM »
I have one for an automatic and plan to swap to a manual so I'd love to swap the insert with you.
Awesome! let me know how to go about swapping info with you and ill get back to you asap!

Offline atmafox

• Mad Engineer
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 01:09:43 AM »
Hit me up via note and I'll send you my personal email then we can work out addresses and cross shipping or similar.  I'm out of town until the end of the month but I can see if the folks back home can figure out how to extract the insert.

Thanks!
-Andrea
Mine:
- 1980 AMC Eagle 2dr Sedan
- 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe

Ours:
- 1986 Toyota Pickup

Hers:
- 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
- 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac
- 1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr 4x4

His: