News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:47:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Sender Adjustment  (Read 1130 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Fuel Sender Adjustment
« on: August 30, 2022, 01:12:46 PM »
I had my old sender adjusted perfectly so that I could see the full range of the tank with an extra 20km or so left when I landed on E.
Well that sender finally died in December and I replaced it with a more expensive but identical new replacement from American Parts Depot. I adjusted the end stops for the F and E and put it in. Works great but I'm noticing that now when it lands on E there's still something like 15 to 20L of gas left in the tank. What is the procedure to adjust the float level? Just bend the arm at the elbow so that the float sits lower in the tank? Is there an easy to verify where you've adjusted it to because that f%$*@ng tank is a pain to drop, adjust, reinstall, test and drop again and again.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 01:13:32 PM by MIPS »

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Re: Fuel Sender Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 01:40:11 PM »
I put a camera in the tank and the float is sitting on the bottom of the tank, so I think that means the arm adjustment is set too low? I'll keep driving until empty to see how much further off I am. I'm currently 60 miles below the E.

Edited: I also just realized that my tank isn't hanging level. It's sloped ten degrees to the front so all the gas is pooling below the float. I'll have to level the tank using the hanger bolts and try the test again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 05:24:56 PM by MIPS »

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 08:26:51 PM »
In case you don't have the ohms specs for a sender test, they're:
E = 248
1/4 = 151
1/2 = 105
3/4 = 65
F = 31
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 09:46:04 PM »
Thank you. I'll verify my readings as well once the tank is dropped, but not this weekend. It's road trip time! :D

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 01:35:31 AM »
It finally ran out of gas going up a hill. Luckily there is a gas station at the bottom so I spun around, coasted back down to the pump and we got some data.

Total distance travelled on one tank was 527km in 13 days of commuter traffic
The tank, empty to full, required 80.1L of gas
The last full tank fill was 58L of gas, so there is 22L of gas that's invisible.
That "invisible" gas in the tank allowed me to travel an additional 127km.
Excluding the 25km or so you normally get once you land on E, 102km is still way too much mileage I'm never seeing without risking it. It's gotta be adjusted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk