The Shop > Safety Tips

Jack Stand Safety. Please Read!

(1/3) > >>

eaglefreek:
On 2 different forums I am on, there has been failure of jack stands. One of them escaped injuries by miliseconds and the other unfortunately was crushed to death by his truck. I don't want to post specifics, but you can find many instances on the web. Please inspect the welds and also the cast parts for cracks. Have a safety net such as a jack supporting the vehicle or even slide the wheels under the car to keep it from totally crushing you. NEVER get under the car with a jack only!

When I get home, I'm going to make a set similar to these below. They're bulky, but can't fail.

vangremlin:
Thanks for the reminder! 

Amc1320:
Thanks for making this point, always have a secondary in place

eaglebeek:
The type of jackstand pictured is usually high-quality equipment that should support 4 tons. I'm absolutely stunned to see it fail. I use similar but bigger stands daily at work. Eaglefreek has given me pause.

Eaglefreek's blocks are fail-proof. Also safe is equipment that is marked as OSHA-compliant. Good equipment should come with instructions on its proper use. It's expensive but worth it.

I sincerely wish never to hear of this sort of incident on this forum. :eagle:

edited to correct spelling error...or fat finger attack

TheWraith:
Great, now even the equipment designed to support a car can't be trusted??!!  Scarey stuff.  You think you're doing everything right too.  I hate it for whoever this has happened to and my heart goes to the family of anyone who died from this.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I never would had thought this could happen; just never crossed my mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version