News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 14, 2024, 08:19:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A.I.R Injection Plugs  (Read 12945 times)

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: A.I.R Injection Plugs
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:27:38 PM »
Has anyone installed a Motorcraft carb with the AIR injection manifold intact? I want to remove the air pump and all the emissions stuff eventually but for now I just want to get the carb plumbed with the correct vac lines and I am having a bit of trouble figuring out where all the vac lines go.

I have the MC carb installed and left all the emissions equipment on but not functioning.  No belt to the smog pump, no vacuum line to the little doo-hickey canister on the passenger side of the engine, no vacuum to the EGR.  Engine runs fine.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

rohnk

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »
I did the same thing Van. Although I am thinking about pulling the stuff off to clean up the engine bay.

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 12:15:39 AM »
My AIR injection ports/tubes were leaking something fierce, noisy!!!! Not to mention UGLY, and my 2150 is really just interim untill I TBI it, and further out drop in a stroker 4.6...

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 12:21:02 AM »
I did the same thing Van. Although I am thinking about pulling the stuff off to clean up the engine bay.

While my Eagle is currently grandfathered in from emissions testing, I am leaving everything intact in case the rules change or a new owner (my son in 30 years???) has to pass emissions.  Not that the people working there really know what they are looking for.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline jspeez13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 07:57:19 PM »
does anyone know if you can elimate the downstream side of the smog pump system and keep the exhausst injection side functioning?  i would this set up keep my emmissions down.  i have to get an all new exhaust system but would like to simplify things.   

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »
does anyone know if you can elimate the downstream side of the smog pump system and keep the exhausst injection side functioning?  i would this set up keep my emmissions down.  i have to get an all new exhaust system but would like to simplify things.   

You could, as thats how the 80 and 81 Eagles were set up. They ran air continuously to into the exhaust manifold. However, if you still are using the feedback carb with the ECM functioning, you cannot, as pumping air into the exhaust manifold would drastically throw off the O2 sensor reading. What year is your Eagle?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline jspeez13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »
its an 81 sx4 with california emmissions.  it has the dual injection system.  i just got the mc upgrade from gronk and im trying to iron out a few things before i start dismantling everything.  so it will be non feedback.  i want to keep egr and the smog pump i just want to be sure it is all functioning.   i wanted to eliminate the vacuum crap that directs flow from the smog pump.  i am keeping a very strict rule of "anything that comes out of the car goes in the trash and is replaced with new"  ive learned the hard way to never reinstall old parts especiall when its so cheap to just get new ones. 

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
its an 81 sx4 with california emmissions.  it has the dual injection system.  i just got the mc upgrade from gronk and im trying to iron out a few things before i start dismantling everything.  so it will be non feedback.  i want to keep egr and the smog pump i just want to be sure it is all functioning.   i wanted to eliminate the vacuum crap that directs flow from the smog pump.  i am keeping a very strict rule of "anything that comes out of the car goes in the trash and is replaced with new"  ive learned the hard way to never reinstall old parts especiall when its so cheap to just get new ones. 

Ok, since you're going the non feedback way, you will be fine.

Out of curiosity, does it have a "thing" (its a set of vacuum switches) on the firewall across from the distributor that has 3 vacuum hoses going into it and some electrical wires? I've been looking for one of those, and there were only installed on 81 Concords, Spirits, and Eagles with California Emissions. If you have it, do not throw it out please.
Dan

Offline jspeez13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »
yeah i got that in the trash pile ill pull it out.   i guess i need the plumbing from another year that doesnt have the dual injection to hook up smog pump.  any ideas on how to get that? i could ship that "thingy" to you if you pm me your addy.  do you have all that stuff hooked up and functioning?  if so, congrats on that.

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »
I put some 1/4" NPT - 18 plugs in.
1/4" NPT has about 1/2"OD.
You can probably get steel ones at your local plummer for $0.25/pc.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »
yeah i got that in the trash pile ill pull it out.   i guess i need the plumbing from another year that doesnt have the dual injection to hook up smog pump.

The good news is you shouldn't need all the other parts from a single air injection car. Because they both used the same parts.  To turn yours into single air injection, you have to remove the the air switch valve. Thats a little valve with 3 hoses attached to it, on the passenger side of the valve cover, toward the back. The air switch valve has a vacuum hose that connects to the solenoids on top of the valve cover. Once you take out the valve, just connect the hose that sources from the air pump, do the hose that goes to the air injection manifold.

Make sure you keep the diverter valve. Which is on the passenger side of the valve cover, more toward the front of the engine. It has 2 hoses, 1 from the air pump, and 1 that goes to the air switch valve. And it also has a vacuum hose that is connected to one of the 3 vacuum solenoids on top of the valve cover. Since you probably want to get rid of the 3 solenoids, just connect that vacuum hose to any manifold vacuum source.

You definitely need to keep the diverter valve, if you want to use the upstream air injection, as it prevents backfires in the exhaust manifold on deceleration.
Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk