News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:02:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grant Wheel Installation Tip  (Read 1215 times)

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
Grant Wheel Installation Tip
« on: September 05, 2021, 03:06:59 PM »
I just installed a Grant steering wheel in my daughter's Eagle. I looked on the forum, as I hit a snag installing the horn wire. I noticed that others had the same issue, so I wanted to share how I resolved it.

The problem is in the turn signal canceling cam. On the Eagle for whatever reason, the plastic tube that comes off of the canceling cam (which houses the spring loaded horn contact) has a spring retainer that is different that most GM Saginaw columns. It does not have the insert and twist style retainer.

So to get a Grant Wheel to work, you need to get a lock plate compressor. I just rented one from my local O'Rilleys. It came with the steering wheel puller. Compress that lock plate, and remove the retaining ring. I could not get in my snap ring pliers so I just used two screwdrivers and worked carefully at it.

Slide that retaining ring down the shaft toward you, and then release the lock plate compressor.

Carefully slide out the lock ring, and you can simple remove the old turn signal canceling cam.

Replace this part with Dorman Part. No 83232.

Reinstall lock ring and retaining ring.

Follow the instructions with your Grant Wheel.

End with one happy daughter!

Photo: https://imgur.com/a/Pz9zgEw

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 03:10:41 PM by jrpentolino »
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline 86erfixer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: Grant Wheel Installation Tip
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 03:57:26 AM »
Do you think this part number would work with the factory steering wheel as well?

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Grant Wheel Installation Tip
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
They do!   The Dorman numbers are 83232 and 83233; one's is tilt, one is non-tilt -- but I forget which is which!   But you might have to also buy the GM horn pigtail connector to make it work.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7