News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 10, 2024, 07:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Eagle  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Newgenerationamcer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
First Eagle
« on: August 31, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
Hey everyone just purchased my first Eagle it's a 1988 wagon and I just had a question regarding lifting it... what would be the highest I could lift it without having to change the drive shaft and what would be the best way to go about lifting it I am only looking for a good 3 inches

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: First Eagle
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »
Rear 3" spring set from an XJ unless you are just sagging and want it back to height. I added an XJ main leaf with the eyes cut off on mine. New coils in front and a wheel alignment. That gave me enough room for 235/75/15s.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:50:37 AM »
Hey thanks carnuck sounds like a great idea

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:29:36 AM »
Welcome. If you haven't already, check out the suspension section. http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?board=10.0 Unfortunately, there are some broken links and missing pictures, but there is a bit of info there. What condition is your suspension in now. Do you have a pic of the car sitting on level ground? A 1" coil spacer made by SPC part number 1506 will give an aproximately 2" lift up front. http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Products-Company-1506-Spring/dp/B000SBXROM It mounts on top of the spring and requires removal. Another option if your Eagle is sagging, is to buy new coils springs. Moog 3156 are for V8 Javelin and give a little bit of a lift. I have them and the SPC 1503 1/2" spacers. Out back, you can either install lift blocks, different shackles or an add a leaf out back. I prefer to do an add a leaf or install a leaf or two from another vehicle that is the same width. The term used in the off road community is ba$tard pack.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:30:15 AM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »
My suspension is in ruff shape, it could probably be replaced that's a big reason I want to give it a lift. .. if I'm going to replace it might as well improve it  and for some reason I cannot get a picture up on my posts but my avatar is my car if that helps and thanks for the detailed post and links it helps alot

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »
Just thought I would try to post a picture of my Eagle and share it with the community

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk