News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 09:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My '88 Wagon, ever so slightly modified.  (Read 2708 times)

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
My '88 Wagon, ever so slightly modified.
« on: April 09, 2012, 06:55:09 PM »
Here's a little background on my car.

It's an '88 woody wagon (originally) that has been modified by each owner in his own way. The previous owner did the following:

1. Motorcraft 2100 or 2150 swap, can't ID the carb.
2. GM HEI ignition swap.
3. Locker in the rear diff.
4. Chopped up the fenders a bit to make room for 28" super swampers.
5. Replaced alternator with Remy one-wire type.
6. Replaced stock stereo.

Since I've owned it, I've done the following:

1. Swapped it back to mechanical fuel pump.
2. Replaced fuel sending unit.
3. Replaced battery.
4. Replaced radiator.
5. Replaced super swampers with 235/75/R15 Goodyear Wranglers.
6. Sprayed lightly textured bedliner over the sun-baked-and-cracked woodgrain.
7. Rebuilt front and rear brakes, including new rotors and drums, as well as new master cylinder.
8. Replaced front and rear shocks with KYB Gas-A-Just shocks.
9. Replaced front and rear seats with unmatching tan seats.
10. Replaced front grille with black painted replacement.
11. Replaced oil pan gasket and rear main seal.
12. Swapped a rebuilt 7120 head with aftermarket 4.0 headers, continued using 258 intake and carb.
13. Bypassed all emissions equipment, yet to complete exhaust modification to accommodate 4.0 header and front diff bracket.

On the to-do list:
1. Procure fender flares and modify them to fit around my tires.
2. Fix the rear hatch mechanism so it stays open.
3. Replace electric wiper motor (doesn't work).
4. Fix driver rear door (won't open)
5. Replace coil springs, leaf springs, and refresh front suspension.
6. Reupholster sagging headliner.
7. Finish exhaust (new pipe, new cat, new muffler, the works).
8. 4.0 cam upgrade.

I bought the car in 2010 because my 1999 Subaru Outback blew a head gasket and a tranny at roughly the same time. My other vehicle that I drove daily as a result of this was a project '68 Javelin that I sold last year because I ran out of time and money to restore it. It was my first car (I'm 19 now), and it's the reason I got into working on cars at all. I will miss it, but I'm glad I was able to keep an AMC in my possession.

When I first got the car, literally 15 minutes after driving away from the previous owner's house, a rocker came loose and started tapping on the valve cover. I didn't know much about engines at this point, so I had the car towed back to the PO's house and he fixed it up for me. I drove it maintenance free for a few months, until I started to notice the engine was leaking so badly that it would smoke up an intersection if I hit a red light (oil dripping onto exhaust pipe). I connected with member tougeagle who lived not too far away, and we spent the better part of a day (and all night) regasketing the motor, including head gasket.

Shortly thereafter, the engine overheated on my way home one night, but the car was able to be limped the rest of the way. I replaced the radiator hoping to fix the cooling issue, and my theory is that the new found pressure of a correctly functioning radiator (old one was very clogged) blew out the new head gasket due to, presumably, warping that occurred as a result of the overheating. The engine filled with coolant, turned the oil into a nice sticky goo, and I was forced to park the car for over a year.

In the last couple of months, I've found myself with more time and money and I decided to tackle the 4.0 head swap. Since my 258 head was junk anyway, it seemed the most logical course of action. I'm still deciding whether or not it was  ::)

I've got the motor nearly rebuilt, just need my roommate to come home and help me get the head (which I've already bolted the intake and exhaust to) onto the block. It's a little heavy for one guy. I've seafoamed the heck out of the engine and will be changing the oil very rapidly to make sure everything is cleaned out.

Unfortunately the original paint is beginning to fade, it's been thinned out by age and by being buffed way too much. The clear coat has peeled off the hood and the fenders. It's a sharp looking vehicle from 15 feet away, just need to put the finishing touches on it. I may spray the hood flat black to match the sides of the car, but I'm undecided.

Anywho, I've never posted about my car so I hope someone enjoys reading this much about someone else's ride. I'm in a pickle right now, I think I will be relocating to Arizona in May to be closer to my family and to go to school, and I'm unsure if it's reasonable to take the Eagle with me. Not to mention I haven't had the thing running in quite some time, and I'm on a time constraint. I'd love to be able to sell it but, of course, there isn't much market for Eagles and in non-running condition, there's even less of one. If any Nesters are ever around the Estes Park area and want to turn some wrenches... I've got beer.

I know, I gotta get my stainless trim back on :)

Prafeston

Re: My '88 Wagon, ever so slightly modified.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
Interesting little hood scoop!

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: My '88 Wagon, ever so slightly modified.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »
Yeah, forgot to mention the previous owner added that. It's "functional", I guess, if a few square inches of space really moves any air.  ::)

Hey, at least it lets out right near the air cleaner so it looks like it's trying to do something. I'd take it off if I could, but he cut a hole in the hood for it. It's unique, I guess.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk