The Mighty 258 > Engine Electrical Systems.

1988 only will start in start posistion

<< < (2/3) > >>

kr2222:
sorry i shoulfd had said it will start in the start position but when i let go of the key in run it shuts down

AMC of Houston:
OK; so it sounds like something electrical.  I didn't see the coil on your list of replaced parts.  Have you checked the coil??  Normal voltage to the positive terminal of the coil with the key in the "on" position is around 6 volts.  With the key to "start", the voltage there should be full battery voltage.   Sometimes with a bad coil, that extra voltage at start will cause a bad coil to work well enough to start the engine.

Also check the coil resistance across the 2 small terminals - should be somewhere between 1 and 1.5 ohms (depends on temperature).   Next check resistance between either small terminal and the center tower coil wire contact - should be 7,700 to 9,300 ohms at 75 degrees; could be higher at higher temps.   If the readings fail either of these tests, replace the coil.

If the coil checks out OK, then need to look elsewhere.  There is a great step-by-step troubleshooting procedure in the MR251 Eagle Shop Manual (starting on page C-61).   I could scan it for you if needed; but check the coil first and report back.

kr2222:
yes the ciol is new but i got it that way, i will test it anyway. thank you.

mudkicker715:
so we are ruling out the rod from the key to the actual ignition switch. idk but maybe the rod is not working it properly.

maddog:
I know it might sound crazy but is it possible there's a short in the wires that go to the starter solenoid that allow it to start but not run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version