News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 11:10:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Headliner question  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Headliner question
« on: April 24, 2014, 07:07:12 AM »
Been looking around for a headliner replacement. The previous owner had coated the old ceiling with fibreglass (a great job btw).

Yesterday I was rooting around the shopping mall and came across a fabric store. They have the perfect color upholstery for my build, but it's meant for chairs and so forth, and it's about 4mm thick.

Anyone have experience with this, think that it'll work for a replacement headliner?

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: Headliner question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
I think headliner material has a bit of a foam backing on it.  Not to say you couldn't improvise something but I think there is a basic difference between the two materials.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »
As long as you can apply glue to it and it won't soak through, you can put any material on the headliner.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »
I'm wondering if the corners will crinkle when I lay it down. Might have to haul a few thick old curtains out and see how it rolls on.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 11:14:23 AM »
There's a special spray adhesive for the headliner by 3M. Nearly every automaker uses a thin piece of foam glued to the backer board and glues the fabric to it.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk