News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 09:59:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lets See those CB Radios!  (Read 10819 times)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
Re: Lets See those CB Radios!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 07:28:27 PM »
CB Mounting isn't my hard part, I'm going to either get the Midland CB-1 or a Cobra 75 WX ST and will be mounting it in the empty spot the AC vents aren't in above the radio. Just cant figure out a good way to mount an antenna that doesn't detract from the cars appearance or force me to drill any holes.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 01:12:26 AM »
You're best bet is probably the magnet mount antenna. They also have some window mount ones. Other than that you'd probably have to drill somewhere.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 08:14:10 AM »
Trying to stay away from magnetic mount (thats my fallback though it I don't find what Im looking for) and Im definitely not going to drill any holes. Have been researching the window mount antennas and the tend to have very limited range (mile or two) as per most reviews and info I've received from CB shops and manufacturers. Last night I had an ideal, just trying to find the parts to make it work.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »
I don't really want to do a magnet mount either, but from what I've read they work well. You want the coil to be above the roof of the car so it's a good setup.

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 03:54:59 PM »
I want to run a Whip on my back bumper on Kammy. Use the mounting holes for the missing caps to mount it and feed COAX into the car.

But that won't happen until I get lots of other things done..
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline casper

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 02:52:35 AM »
more solid bumper mount. wont flex on the body, ect. works great. good distance with my cobra classic.
62 rambler classic 2 door (casper)
63 rambler american 440 (rosie)
79 spirit (drag race car)
82 eagle station wagon (rotty wagon)
82 sx4 (honeybadger)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »
Is it mounted to something where the bumper end cap should be? Or actually to the bumper?

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
more solid bumper mount. wont flex on the body, ect. works great. good distance with my cobra classic.
I think we need a close up picture!
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 04:57:03 PM »
I have one antenna on my car. It is mounted typically on the passenger side fender & serves three purposes. Factory Installed radio, my separate k-40 CB  & believe it or not I'm still using the old "Chapman" burglar alarm which gives a signal to my Auto Page.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 10:33:40 AM »
I am a big time radio guy.  I have all sorts of radio setups in all my vehicles.  On my 88 wagon,  I have a base loaded coil antenna with a trunk lip mount fastened to the center of my rear hatch.  uses 2 little allen head screws to tighten it down and the coax is run under all the trim moldings up to the front.  I will get some pics up soon so you can see what I'm talking about.  I am also a Ham operator and do communications for my local Office of Emergency Management.   73! 

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 11:32:16 AM »
I don't know how I never saw this thread. I am also VERY interested in mounting a CB in my rig. I'd used them when I was younger. I had always used the magnet mounts with pretty good success, but I really like the whip design on Caspers. Is the package tray the best place? I have an AC car with the gauge package....so I'm pretty limited on mounting locations...is the package tray the consensus?
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk