News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 11:40:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replacement sun visors  (Read 5051 times)

Offline skuhler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Replacement sun visors
« on: December 26, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
There's been a couple topics on this but I was wondering if there was anything new.  My '86 Wagon had the metal bases and they're both broken.  I tried a couple from a Cherokee and while the cardboard piece fits on it just fine, the three hole bases are not flat enough to install in the existing holes, and the hole pattern doesn't match.  I'm going to look at Eagles at a local yard tomorrow, but the other two I use have crushed them and sold them for metal when the price was high!  So, anybody find a good match from another make and model, perhaps something more recent that the yards might have?

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: Replacement sun visors
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »
there was a rumor that GM pickups 73-87 would work.  I have not tried this to see if it will work
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »
Check out Chev pickups from the '70s.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline skuhler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »
I'll check at the yard for those Chevys.  I did find a yard down towards Jefferson City, MO that has several Eagles and Concords.  They even have a few Pacers!  Of course, the visors had been picked thru pretty bad, but I found two; one of the metal style and one of the plastic that I think will work.  The plastic ones seem to break in the socket, at least that's where all the cracks are.  The metal ones look like they break where the socket and the flat piece meet.  I've taken some JB weld and filled in on the back, trying hard not to cement the arm to the bracket permanently.  Here's some pics, and I'll post how it works out when it dries.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 12:17:38 PM »
A Thumbs up to you.  When you have it all done, let us know so we can archive your fix in the Den's Eaglepedia.  Thanks in advance.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
I tried the JB weld fix myself. Worked for a few days until the rough roads in my area caused it to break again. Ended up getting a new rod out of a junkyard. I've also had my sunvisors re-upholstered when I redid my headliner. Did both in the same material, so they match. And with the added thickness of the foam headliner material, there is enough friction between the sunvisors and the headliner, than the sunvisors don't rotate forward every time I come to a stop, which used to get annoying.  ;D
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »
I'll check at the yard for those Chevys.  I did find a yard down towards Jefferson City, MO that has several Eagles and Concords.  They even have a few Pacers!
Um, Jefferson City, MO? Mid MO is my territory! Where is this junkyard? And where do you live? I'm down in Rolla.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline skuhler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »
It's a yard in Holts Summit, just north of Jefferson City.  I'm in Columbia.  With all those hills in Rolla, no wonder you've got an Eagle!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk