News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 09:06:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bad Speedometer Cable  (Read 4177 times)

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Bad Speedometer Cable
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:42:16 PM »
Well, it looks like my cable broke at the speedometer. I need to know if it is a 1 or 2 piece cable, where to get a new one, plus any fittings it requires.

This is a non cruise control model.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Re: Bad Speedometer Cable
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »
Non cruise control is 1 piece.  If you get a cable core kit it should come with the required square drive end you clamp on after cutting to length, and the other end will already be the proper square drive.  According to a previous thread, if you get an 81" replacement core, it will be long enough for the non-cruise model.  ATP and possibly other companies make a speedo cable core make-up kit for under $5 (at least on rockauto.com) that will do the trick.  I ordered one of these kits (the 83" length one they have listed under the Eagle on Rock Auto) and it looks like it has the proper size square drives and should be perfectly compatible.  I never ended up using mine, as the cable in the car turned out to be fine, just the end had been bent by somebody getting a little rough with it during the gauge cluster assembly.

The thread below may help some.
http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=35609.0
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:59:50 PM by WoodenBirdOfPrey »
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:02:15 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/ATP-YC-100-Speedometer-Cable-Make/dp/B000C8TBK0

This is the cable core I'm talking about.  Rock Auto's price is better, but the way their online catalogs work, it's not possible to post a direct link.

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »
It appears as if the part that fits the speedometer coupling is damaged. Do any of these kits contain this part?

Also, is the cable that Rock Auto sells a full assembly, or just the core?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:24:48 PM by George Mann »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:15:17 PM »
Rock Auto has the core kit like I posted above, and they also have the full cable, including the sheathing, for about $15 I think.

I'm not sure which part you're saying is damaged.  Do you mean the plastic square drive end of the core, or the outer part with the nut?

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »
Hint:  if you're looking on Rock Auto, the speedometer cables and cable make-up kits are under the "body - interior" tab.  I had a hard time figuring that one out.

Here's the picture of the full cable they show, maybe that will answer your question.  This cable is listed as 81" long.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:30:28 PM by WoodenBirdOfPrey »

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:11:12 PM »
Hint:  if you're looking on Rock Auto, the speedometer cables and cable make-up kits are under the "body - interior" tab.  I had a hard time figuring that one out.

Here's the picture of the full cable they show, maybe that will answer your question.  This cable is listed as 81" long.

That's the one, and yes, the square drive piece was obliterated!
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 04:53:58 AM »
Well, instead of being obliterated, it appears that it is too long (and thin at the end). I surmise that this is the part that has to be trimmed?
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 11:02:41 AM »
On both of my wagons, the ends of the cable on the speedometer side has a plastic end crimped to it, that is the square drive.  Make sure that's not still stuck in the back of the cluster. 

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »
My problem is, the plastic drive is too long.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »
Well, I took the cluster apart to test the fitting. It fit. Then I drove the car. Nothing. So then I pulled the cable out, and found that it was broken!

Thanx for your help guys.
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk