News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 05:11:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seat rails for 83 Sx4  (Read 2268 times)

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
Seat rails for 83 Sx4
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »
So I put a request out to several use parts search engines and am waiting for a reply...

The drivers seat on the SX4 I bought has collapsed on one side and I'm pretty sure the rail is broken.  I MAY be able to weld it back together, but easier yet would be to just replace it with a working one. 

Anyone know a good source for the rails or have a set they would be willing to part with?

The car is being delivered to me tomorrow and I'll try to get a better idea of what went wrong this week. 

rohnk

Re: Seat rails for 83 Sx4
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »
I have a set of seats that I use for parts. Let me see what condition the rails are in and they may work for you. I'll post pics tonight.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
Every SX4 seat I've ever owned was broken or about to break. Its a universal problem. The good news is that you have an 83, so the frame is much stronger than an 81 would be because of the recline mechanism.

If you look at the drivers side in comparison to the passenger you will likely see the seat a few inches back and leaning slightly to the left. The main rail has cracked. If the seat isn't back and over, but the cushion feels broken when you sit on it, like you're sinking too far, its just the zig zag supports that are broken. That's also a common problem but its easier to repair.

Taking the seat apart is done without removing the rails from underneath the car. I can do it in less than two minutes. Take the plastic cover off the side (two phillips screws), remove the three torx bolts you find there, then use a large screwdriver or pry bar to gently push the metal ring from the base over the center stud as you pop the upper half of the seat out. In the inboard side its just a metal post in a hole with a plastic bushing. It takes about a minute to get that far.

After you have the upper part off, then you will need to reach underneath the seat from the backside and pop plastic clips off the edge of the seat rail. On a seat that's already been taken apart (since some have metal wire clips from the factory) and with experienced hands the cushion pops off from the lower seat in less than a minute.

Now you'll be looking at your lower seat frame. Its held on to the rails bolted to the floor by four half inch drive nuts. It comes right off without touching the rails. You'll find the cushion supports look like zig-zagged metal wire. Most of those if not all of them will have their attaching tabs broken. That's an easy fix. Most seats will also have the main rail cracked. Push it back together, bridge the crack with a stiffener, and weld or bolt it back together. If yours isn't broken yet, just wait a few years. It will be eventually. Hopefully you can stiffen it before it breaks.

There are two different zigzag supports. Each seat has a mixture of both. I personally remove all the stretchy ones and grab extra stiff ones from other donor seats. I also stretch them one "zag" further and use a grinder to trim off the excess. Sometimes the hook is still intact and they just pop out of place or break a zag. For those I use screws to restrict them from popping out in the future. If the tab is broken I use screws with the heads overlapped over the "zag" wire to keep it in place.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:51:21 PM by captspillane »
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
To clarify my last post, I use the word "rail" to mean two different things. The first time I said "Main Rail" I meant the rear side of the main metal box that creates the lower seat frame. The lower seat frame has four metal sides. Its those that crack or shear, specifically the back side. On the non-reclining '81 seats the outboard side and the backside both break, and they do so much easier.

I also refer to the sliding rails. Those bolt to the floor and then have four studs sticking up for the seat frame to attach to with four 1/2 nuts. Those never break. In heavily rusted vehicles sometimes the part of the rail that bolts to the floor gets eaten up by rust, but otherwise I've never seen any that need to be replaced. An '83 seat will bolt right up to the sliding rails of an '81 seat.

The inboard sliding rail is different on a Spirit, but the outboard sliding rail and the seat itself is identical from a Spirit to an Eagle. A wide seat from an Eagle station wagon is also interchangeable (power seats use different floor holes and the slider rails are built into the power mechanism however).
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:13:57 PM »
:censored:, that's some good information.  Thank you for the detailed writeup.  I'll wait until I get the car home tomorrow and pull it apart to see what I've got.

Rohnk,  Thanks  for the offer.  Depending on what i've got I may decide to replace instead of repair.  Keep me posted on what you have.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk