The Shop > Project Cars

Eagle rust repair

(1/2) > >>

GECKO77:
Was wondering if this is worth it

vangremlin:
Oh wow.  That will require a lot of work

If you look at this thread it will give you an idea of what you are up against.  The pictures weren't showing up for me, maybe you'll have better luck, as I know I have seen the pictures before

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43853.msg362600#msg362600

priya:
That looks pretty bad  and its usually worse than it looks.  How is your Spirit for rust?  If there's no or little rust on it I think its a much better candidate for you to fix and convert to 4wd.

Illeagle1984:
Man, you got some serious Fred Flintstone :censored: going on there.

The question is not if it's worth it.  The question is is it worth it to you?  I'm sure my Eagle wasn't 'worth it,' the time and money invested could never be recouped by selling and I could've just bought a Subaru and called it a day (yawn).  But if you take a liking to the car, and you enjoy its rarity and the looks you get, then it is always worth it.  Case in point: the thread vangremlin posted. (great pics) There is extensive work being done to this rusty old Eagle, so I'm willing to bet he really likes the car.  Also helps he has mad metal skillz and a full shop.  He's an inspiration to us all.

Also if you want to learn about how to do sheetmetal, this would be an opportunity for that.  If you'd be paying someone to do it, it'd be untold thousands.  But there are probably other bad spots in the car as well; check all the areas that juhap had to do on his car in the aforementioned thread, especially in the front wheel wells.  Ultimately, how bad the rest of the car is would decide it for me.  Also check to see if you can even get new floorpans and rockers; some parts for Eagles are literally impossible to find.

GECKO77:
Thanks for the replies, and the link to the thread, the spirit is like 1500 (thats quite a bit when youre 16) and has almost zero rust, it has nice patina. I would be willing to invest the time, i think my lack of skills and specialty tools is what would be the bigger problem, also this eagle I have is an oddball, the nameplate says eagle GT wich is a model ive never heard of before.... ,So i was hoping to restore it, the drivetrain swap was a last resort option that i was investigating, my funds are also currently limited as i just spent around 1000 on powertools,sockets,wrenches, and more...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version