News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 08:15:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Towing on all fours?  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Towing on all fours?
« on: June 16, 2020, 08:15:29 AM »
Hello all,
             Eagle Nest virgin here with my first question so go easy with me. I am not the most mechanically inclined guy but love Eagles. Drove one for years in Montana when the Army stationed me there. Used it to skid logs from the woods to my cabin, hunting, everything and never got stuck.

Just purchased my second Eagle Wagon (1985) a few days ago off Ebay. It is located in CA and I need to get it to TX.

I have read all I could find here on towing with a tow bar and transfer cases and disconnecting drive shafts. Seems I do not understand why I cannot just put it in neutral and go. I say this because over twenty years ago after graduating from the University of Montana and moving back to TX I used a tow bar to pull my then Eagle wagon all the way. Had no problems after the tow and drove it for years until selling.

Also, would it make a difference with using a tow dolly with the front wheels on it? To me it would not as the rear wheels are still on the ground.

Thank you.

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
Re: Towing on all fours?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 10:11:43 AM »
    Hello,  First, welcome to the "nest" :hello2: .................. I tell you what I've heard:  The 998 trans does not have a rear pump to circulate fluid while towing.. this causes heat to build up and damage the trans internals. Also the viscous coupler can be damaged under certain conditions related to towing. I'd say don't risk it .. pull the shafts out... note: pulling the rear shaft will cause trans fluid to leak out, esp. if the front end is raised. So you will need the check / top off fluid when shafts go back in. Using a tow dolly with wheels .. AMC - front wheels up / rear shaft removed sounds OK ... hope this helps.

Regards, Iron Horse :o 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:26:15 AM by IRON HORSE »

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »
IRON HORSE,
                    Thanks for the welcome and the info.

Would it make a difference if I put the rear wheels on the tow dolly and put it in neutral or is there still a need to disconnect the front drive?

Thank you.

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:41:15 PM »
Your still spinning the drives haft, and than the the transfer case. Save grief and pull the rear drive put rears on the ground. Even if you had a front disconnect axle. Do not forget someone could locked the front axle. Also i hate 2 wheel tow dollies. Take a few turns and recheck your straps and such.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 05:44:39 AM »
mudkicker715,
                      OK. Seems like I need to find a trailer.

Still do not quite understand why I was able to tow bar my previous one and had no damage. Maybe just lucky. Anyway not gonna chance it. Thanks for the info. I am sure once I get her home I will have many more questions.

Thank you.

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 05:57:07 AM »
Hello,

Re-reading my post I realized I gave you some mis-information.... I forgot the Eagle's Xfer case has a yoke attached to the output shaft.... You won't have fluid run out as I said above, sorry about that.
 Good luck on the trip !!

v/r Iron Horse  :o

Offline Cliff

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 1983 EAGLE Limited+Heavy Mod'd+360 V8 AMC Engine
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »
I had me '83 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited 4X4 towed without my knowledge, with all four on the ground and Cracked my transfer case within 30 miles or less. Load it on a towing platform flatbed to be safe.

Offline Longhunter

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 01:56:08 PM »
Hello all,
            In earlier posts I was informed I cannot flat tow my 85 Eagle Wagon becuae it will ruin the transfer case because it will still be turning but not getting fluid. It was recommended to remove the rear drive shaft and then I could tow on all fours I believe that is how I understood it. Here are some questions related to that.

1. When the car is being driven what powers the pump that supplies the fluid to the transfer case?
2. If I remove the rear drive shaft and pull it on all fours do I put it in neutral?
3. If I put it in neutral and not Park would there be "pull" on the battery since it is not in park?
4. If it is on all fours and I remove the rear drive shaft does the front drive shaft not turn because it is not cranked up and not in gear?
5. I read on another post that a way to pull on all fours is to install a NP242 transfer case as I would then be able to put the transfer case in neutral and there would be no need to remove any drive shaft. Is that accurate?
6. If that is accurate where does the lever or whatever go to shift the transfer case into neutral? Would I need to cut a hole in the floor for a lever of some kind to come through?

Sorry for all the questions. I love Eagles but am definitely not a mechanic.

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 07:13:55 AM »
Hello,
#1 - fluid in the xfer case is circulated by rotation of parts inside .. like a manual trans .. no pump in xfer case. The damage to the xfer case will be the viscous coupler, a sealed unit that is the heart of the Eagle’s 4x4 operation.

#2 - the front drive shaft connects directly to the xfer case, not the trans .. putting the transmission in neutral will not disconnect the front shaft from the xfer case. Eagle’s prior to 1985 had a front axle disconnect ( vacuum motor on axle ) .. I believe in 1985 they went to shift on the fly .. ( no axle disconnect ) so front and rear shafts would have to come out on an ’85  , or pull the rear shaft and raise fronts while towing .. or use a trailer.

#3 - if the key is in the off position and the lights are off .. I would not expect a draw .. can always pull one of the batt cables off.

#4 - the front shaft is connected to the front differential .. if you don’t have the front axle disconnect the shaft will turn when the car moves … my 1985 did not have an axle disconnect, I had to pull rear shaft and raise the front to tow.  Engine on or off shouldn’t matter .. don’t tow it with the engine running!

#5 - NP242 was not used in the Eagle .. 242 had 4 wheel low ( made for jeeps ) ..  I think it also had a neutral position. This is a modification, but I haven’t ever seen an Eagle with this mod done.

#6 – Right … you would have to modify to install NP242 .. cut hole in the floor = yes

hope this helps, iron horse  :o
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:19:29 AM by IRON HORSE »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk