News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 11:49:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Radiator Help  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Proud Eagle SX4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
New Radiator Help
« on: August 14, 2015, 04:32:50 PM »
My radiator is dead and almost overheated my inline 6 as i was driving a short distance.  I was driving one day this week and smoke started coming out from under my hood.  i got out and opened the hood to see that it was coming from radiator fluid that was coming out and hissing.  I need a new radiator.  I want to put an eagle radiator in but wanted to see if anyone knew of a cheaper radiator with the eagle specs.  I have a 5 speed, '82 SX4, 4.2L, 6 cylinder. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:33:10 PM by Proud Eagle SX4 »

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: New Radiator Help
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 06:14:36 PM »
I put in one of the Jeep CJ7 aluminum radiators available online and have been real happy with it.  That option is available, its the same size as the Eagle radiator but will require some new holes to be drilled in the radiator mounting plate.  Also note that the neck on these aluminum radiators are a little taller.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Proud Eagle SX4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:45:06 PM »
How much time and money did you put into the new one? And how well did the hoses match up?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »
I bought the radiator off eBay for $170 and free shipping.  I bought an adaptor to join a 1.5" and a 1.75" radiator hose for the lower hose, but I think you may be able to use a non-molded hose for a jeep and make it work.  I think the upper hose was a non-molded variety for an Eagle.

It took very little time to modify it to work in the Eagle, just drill some new holes on the mounting brackets on the radiator.  The one area I messed up on was measuring for the new holes.  I believe I measured from the top of the old radiator to the centerline of the holes, then transferred that measurement to the new radiator.  Because the neck on the aluminum radiator was taller, I couldn't totally close the hood and had to enlarge the holes I drilled.  Measuring the holes from the top of the old radiator neck and transferring that measurement should solve that problem. 

I can't say exactly how long the project took because I replaced the heater core at the same time.  If you find a good lower hose this job could be done in a morning.

Good luck.
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 01:01:45 PM »
I did a write up when I did the radiator swap.  Here is the thread.

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42945.0
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Just4u2c

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:54:37 PM »
Just a quick note... just because it was hissing and spewing water from your radiator (cap) doesn't mean it is your radiator... You didn't say if that was the case.. low coolant, stuck thermostat, bad fan clutch, even blown headgaskets will cause overheating with a perfectly good radiator.. Heck, even a radiator cap that has failed will cause it..
I recommend diagnosing the problem before throwing parts at it.. Unless it was steaming and hissing from a place on the radiator that it shouldn't.. then go ahead and start with that..
79 AMX 401 5speed
81 SX/4 still a project/winter driver
83 Spirit GT.... Still up in the air with what to do with it

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 03:28:26 PM »
If it does come down to a radiator, I bought a direct-fit last year for my wagon for $194 via RockAuto.  Perfect fit.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Proud Eagle SX4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 11:23:18 PM »
Thanks  Guys! That really helped.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 12:19:51 AM »
I was glad I saved the '77 AMX V8 rad I had. The cap is in the wrong place so I had to lower it a couple inches to fit.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk